Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What Kind of Energy at Long Range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
AJ,

Hey dude, whatcha doin' postin' numbers like that, Huh!

My wife says I'm compensating. She's probably right, I do drive a short wheelbase truck, probably compensating for that.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

How is the 7mm AM case made? Those 200 grainers look mighty interesting...what is the BC at the velocities it achieves?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
How is the 7mm AM case made? Those 200 grainers look mighty interesting...what is the BC at the velocities it achieves?
You just neck down a 338 Lapua case to the proper dimensions and then fire-form it. Bodda bing, bodda boom instant guided missle launcher.

BC runs high enough that until you dial it and shoot it at extended ranges you won't believe what it does, and how easy it does it.;);)

With a max load, dial in 27.5 moa elev. and I'm dead on at 1500 yards.;)
Old 12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Can the 338 Lapua be done on a Savage action? Is the case head extra large?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

It could be done, but I sure would not have it done. You could go with an Edge and be just as happy, and the Savage action would be happier too.;);)
Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

When I turn 18 there will some type of gun buying frenzy...

Why would a 338 be better then the 7mm in a Savage action? Would a fired shot eject without pulling the bolt on the new Savage Target Action? I will not have enough money for a long time to build a full blown custom on a BAT or Nesika action. I have had good luck with Savages, and the new action should be accurate enough, plus the switch barrel thing I like. A laminated stock for >$200, a $500 action, the trigger should be good enough, $500ish for a good barrel and brake and I should be in action. +$300ish for components and dies. Then I can swap barrels to practice and not melt my barrel.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
When I turn 18 there will some type of gun buying frenzy...

Why would a 338 be better then the 7mm in a Savage action? Would a fired shot eject without pulling the bolt on the new Savage Target Action? I will not have enough money for a long time to build a full blown custom on a BAT or Nesika action. I have had good luck with Savages, and the new action should be accurate enough, plus the switch barrel thing I like. A laminated stock for >$200, a $500 action, the trigger should be good enough, $500ish for a good barrel and brake and I should be in action. +$300ish for components and dies. Then I can swap barrels to practice and not melt my barrel.

A short action Savage will eject an Ultra Mag length fired case.

A 338 isn't better than a 7mm, they are just different. It all depends what you want to use them for. A 338 barrel will last longer (given the same case capacity). It all depends what you want to do with them. In my opinion, the 338-300Ultra (Edge) is the ultimate caliber for an easy Savage build. The Lapua based wildcats are a little too much for a savage build in my opinion.

Sounds like you have a good plan on your Savage build. If you start with a caliber that is the same bolt head as your ultimate build, you will have a practice barrel and as you said, you can swap it for serious shooting.

Good luck and keep us informed,

BTW: How long til your 18th birthday?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives