Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What items to purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: What items to purchase

I'd go with good rings and bases. I got badger and have no complaints, but have heard a lot of good about other brands as well.

you can get the palm, and the wind meter, but they won't do much good until you get your scope on your gun.

have fun spending the $$$
Old 12-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Apologize for missing that you are into this already, that is a pretty basic bunch of stuff I suggested. We do a lot of big country hunting up here for mule deer and antelope. Have never hunted Coues but they are on my list. I would still suggest you consider the Pathfinders, Eagle stock pack and a ScopeCoat for your new rig. Pathfinders are little turret like devices that attach in front of your turrets on the main tube. Works like a tape measure only your drops are on the tape. Perfect location for drops and protected from weather. You can obtain from Leupold as their Ballistic Chart or direct from Allison Tool in Denver, they make them and call them the Pathfinder (http://www.allisontool.com/pathpr.html). He will even put your pet load onto the tape. Less than 20 bucks direct.
Eagle stock packs are great for storing your wind meter, wind puffs and extra ammo. Very comfortable also. Available from www.triadtactical.com for 35 bucks or so. Scope Coats are great for protecting the scope from rain and dirt, the tactical model has wings that overhang the action and will keep crap out. Also protection from rubs during transit and storage.
Last basic I would suggest is a stretchy sling from Spec Ops or www.texashuntco.com. These slings are tactical grade, much stronger than Vero Vellinis or whatever.

The guys here are suggesting good stuff. Easy to misspend money, you are wise to ask for advice. I have a drawer full of junk that I thought might be good but did not work out.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Two more suggestions. From your original list. I would consider a simpler Kestral or a basic Brunton. Bruntons are smaller, fit into the stock pack nicer but the new Kestral shape is an improvement. Basically you want wind and temps - barr. pressure/altititude if those are big variables. Why pay for computer memory and features you may not use. I have gone through several windmeters, simple is good. The cheaper models are accurate, just less bells and whistles. Also for your ballistics program consider the one sold by Nightforce, has a couple of very useful features. Basically EXBAL with some extras.

As for rings, if weight is an issue Badger makes aluminum bases and rings. Cuts a few ounces and still very strong. I cannot tell them from the steel ones on my rigs as far as looks goes. Also consider Glen Seekins, his aluminum bases and rings are beautifully machined and a bit less $. Also Richard Near, www.nearmfg.com makes superb mounts and rings in steel but a bit more $.