Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What if.... A remedy for the "cold shot".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: What if.... A remedy for the "cold shot".

OK, if you have the zero at various temps, included stabilized at field temps from PD hunting, and can simulate (i.e. induce) those same conditions prior to first shot, maybe.

Many years ago the idea was to keep the barrel assembly cool with circulating water, so there never was high temps to contend with.

So, it MAY be better.

Absolutely predictable, close, but I doubt if it will ever be perfect. To many variables and they are not all under the shooters control.

Larry
Tinkerer
Old 05-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Well you ARE WRONG. WIND BLOWING ON WARM METAL COOLS IT.
True, but that is not what you said. Also, their is no heat to reduce..."cold bore".....it's right in the title of the thread.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Wind hase NOTHING to due with ANYTHING. Now, once the tube is heated up the wind aids in cooling the BBL, but that is a matter of convection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Well you ARE WRONG. WIND BLOWING ON WARM METAL COOLS IT.
Two "almost" correct answers. Moving air doesn't actually "cool", it simply moves the warmer air away from the heated object and allows more of the object's convected heat to be absorbed by the cooler air (assuming it is actually cooler) as it passes. The larger the surface, the greater the amount of heat transferred to the air. In that manner, "Blowing wind" (moving air) aids in cooling but does not in and of itself cool. It's the ambient air temperature that actually does the cooling.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the OP .....
A barrel warming device isn't something I'd purchase because the barrel's temperature, prior to firing the first shot, is a factor of the ambient air temperature. Any device used to warm the barrel will raise its temperature above ambient air temperature but the relative difference will still be dependent on that factor. A warming device at 20 degrees AT may raise
the barrel temp. by (for sake of argument) twenty degrees. So I have a barrel temp. of 40 degrees. If the barrel temp. is 40 degrees the device might raise it to 60 degrees. My barrel will perform differently at 40 than it does at 60 so I don't really gain anything by using a barrel warmer - I still have to know what my cold bore shot is likely to do, regardless of how "cold" the barrel might be.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diderr View Post
Todd Hodnett- shooting on a clean bore - YouTube

So are you talking a device that eliminates a clean bore, or a cold shooter?
I absolutely agree with this comment.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
True, but that is not what you said. Also, their is no heat to reduce..."cold bore".....it's right in the title of the thread.
Well you have made it quite obvious you don't have a fundamental understanding of what fireworks is getting at and my best guess is you have failed to read this from him:

Quote:
One morning I shoot at a 600 yd. Target, 4ft. By 4ft. Cardboard painted flor orange with a black circle 8" wide. Next morning I would return, device on and inside the barrell heating it (its really crude looking right now, but functionality is what matters right now.) Straight up one shot at the same target and compare. The previous day cold shot, lets just say its a good thing the target is as big as it is. The "heated shot" is much better, actually inside the blackened area most times.
The poster is talking about heating up the tube for a first shot in the field. And I said exactly what I meant so reread it cautiously before I point out you being wrong again and again.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoWind View Post
Two "almost" correct answers. Moving air doesn't actually "cool", it simply moves the warmer air away from the heated object and allows more of the object's convected heat to be absorbed by the cooler air (assuming it is actually cooler) as it passes. The larger the surface, the greater the amount of heat transferred to the air. In that manner, "Blowing wind" (moving air) aids in cooling but does not in and of itself cool. It's the ambient air temperature that actually does the cooling.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the OP .....
A barrel warming device isn't something I'd purchase because the barrel's temperature, prior to firing the first shot, is a factor of the ambient air temperature. Any device used to warm the barrel will raise its temperature above ambient air temperature but the relative difference will still be dependent on that factor. A warming device at 20 degrees AT may raise
the barrel temp. by (for sake of argument) twenty degrees. So I have a barrel temp. of 40 degrees. If the barrel temp. is 40 degrees the device might raise it to 60 degrees. My barrel will perform differently at 40 than it does at 60 so I don't really gain anything by using a barrel warmer - I still have to know what my cold bore shot is likely to do, regardless of how "cold" the barrel might be.
You are welcome to split hairs if you like. Moving warmer air away IS COOLING the metal. It's the same concept.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

Not to pee in the OP's Post Toasties, but better think long and hard about a device carried inside of the barrel. What can go wrong, will. Try to imagine what would happen if the rifle accidently discharged, or if a rookie got excited and fired quickly at the "Thirty Pointer". Or maybe an old fart like myself had a senior moment and forgot it was inside the barrel. I can forsee law suits.