Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What happens after impact?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2003, 07:33 PM

What happens after impact?

My question is what happens to a matchking after it impacts the ground? Suppose Im shooting into a flat hay field either into a groundhog then impacting the ground or just plain hitting the ground.
Does the bullet stop upon impact with the ground or does it richocet and continue on its merry way.
I assume that if the bullet expands, its ballistic coefficient would approach zero.
My house overlooks a 100 acre river bottom with houses on the other side of the river about 1300 yards away with trees on both sides of the river.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: What happens after impact?

What does B.C. have to do with expansion? Expansion is the direct result of terminal velocity. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

I live above one too and have a nice range to shoot at just below my place, but it's not in the direction of anyones house or way of travel. It has a bank behind it with only one access point that's in view. The river cuts anyone off from approaching to my left and it also sweeps around behind the bank so none can aproach but off to my right. There is usually a considerable depth of water just off the bank where a channel comes off the main river next to the woods the trail comes out of. Nobody usually crosses it on my side of the river because there is really nothing out there but sand bar for about 3000 yards down river and about 500 yards wide. Some people go out and shoot trap, but very seldom. It is a perfect range... nobody around and all to myself. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Only one house in view or I'd be able to shoot either direction. A guy has a big dome house on a hill at my 6 when I'm shooting up river. The wind is predominatly in my face coming down the valley. On the far other side of the river bar which is about a mile wide and has several channels to it is the biggest most popular playground around here for four-wheelers, motorcycles, hunting and you name it recreation around the whole Anchorage, Palmer and Wasilla area. The other side has alot of traffic anymore so one has to be very carefull of people, especially on weekends. Weekends are just not the time to shoot LR over on that side. It's mostly sand but all flat ground and we live like I said just up on the mountain and doughheads shoot our direction thinking we're all safe and too far away. The lady down the street had a bullet come through the window last year, she was about 4 feet away from where it went through the kitchen cabinet.

Be safe and just use some common sense about the direction and potential ricochets and you'll be alright. The ricochets will travel waaaay farther than most people even think. Thank God it's just sand here not big rock and gravel or the risk would be alot greater.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Brent,
Trade you spots - we have to drive 45 minutes to any safe LR shooting spots. One interesting observation, sand is not nearly as good a bullet stopper as we would expect. One time I shot some tracers into a sandpit, I was about 25 feet below ground level, slope of the sand backstop was about15-20 degrees from vertical and every one of those damn bullets left the pit. Nothing in the area re houses but I was amazed that they took off like that. This was ball ammo, not as frangible as Matchkings.
I have since heard that sand is not rated as highly as some aggragates for stopping bullets. Apparently there are military studies on suitable backstop material, have never seen any but have been told that they exist.
I wouldn't shoot any bullet in a direction where I could see any buildings, even way out on the horizon. Just isn't worth the chance.

We are freezing our gonies these days, too damn cold to shoot so don't have to worry about bullets bouncing anywhere.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:02 PM

Travis, I have had the matchkings skip.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Nice place Brent, how much does it cost to live up there? It seems to me that you have the perfect range.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Your right about that sand, no different than water. If your shooting into a bank of it it's a different story though. Ricochets are a little more predictable than big rock beds though. It never ceases to amaze me how many people stop to shoot at rocks just several yards from them??? I can't duck fast enough!!

Off subject a little but, we were out at about 500 yards shooting last year and we were waiting for some passer byers to drive down the river bar past our target that was against the sand bank on the other side of the river. They stopped in front of our target, pulled out the shotgun and blasted our target, frame and everything down right in front of us!! They never thought to look at the direction someone might obviously be shooting from, until after the deed...then thay hauled ass! We figured self defence of our target would be a stretch in court so we let em go. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Another reason I like my side of the bar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The river don't freeze up in the winter so they all stay over there too.

45 minutes to the LR spot? Wow that's terrible, I feel for ya man, really. I keep dreamin of a range "right" out my back door though. I'm close enough for now I guess. Someday though....

About 15 degrees here now, just been a warm winter so far. 40 a couple days ago and suppose to be up to 30 by the weekend too. When it gets down tward zero it's pretty rough for any extended period shooting. My dad hates it down past 30. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I got him out at 20 yesterday... he wouldn't go back today though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]