Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what gun to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what gun to go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuamee View Post
have a buddy looking for a rifle at the moment. hes stuck between 308 and 300win mag. gun will be used for mainly whitetail deer and probably coyotes.im pushing him towards the 308. looking for a rifle now. i used to like rem 700s but seein the way thier qc has gone to **** the past couple years i dont really care to try something that may or may not have problems. i didnt own any of the rifles that did have problems but i had some friends with 6 or 8 rifles with chamber problems. i hear nothing but good things about the new savages mostly hear about the 10s but what do yall know or the 14s? the american classic?

Id still steer him toward a 700CDL in 308. Some of Remingtons cheaper models, which I have purchased and then had to send to a smith immediately...appear to have NO QC at all done...but the BDL and the CDL models seems "more like" the older M700's.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

IMO, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a savage. Fairly cheap, for the most part, they shoot better than me. Upgrades are easy and and they're pretty easy to work with.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the replies yall. i got a question for myself also. what do yall think about the savage long range hunters in a 338 lapua? as far as a play toy and distance shooter goes.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
have a buddy looking for a rifle at the moment. hes stuck between 308 and 300win mag. gun will be used for mainly whitetail deer and probably coyotes.im pushing him towards the 308. looking for a rifle now. i used to like rem 700s but seein the way thier qc has gone to **** the past couple years i dont really care to try something that may or may not have problems. i didnt own any of the rifles that did have problems but i had some friends with 6 or 8 rifles with chamber problems. i hear nothing but good things about the new savages mostly hear about the 10s but what do yall know or the 14s? the american classic?
Shuamee I don't know how much your friend wants to spend I have a Tika t3 grey laminated stock stainless barrel with a 4x16 x 44 or 50 can't remember off hand at a friend of mines shop right now for sale it is posted on Line in a couple of sites. I think price is fair($900.00) has a bout 200 rounds if that down tube. Only reason I'm selling want to build another rifle using money from sale to buy an action. PM me if interested. By the way this thing shoots pretty well.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
thanks for the replies yall. i got a question for myself also. what do yall think about the savage long range hunters in a 338 lapua? as far as a play toy and distance shooter goes.
I'd get the hs precision model for the 338.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

The Lapua's in the Savage are getting pretty good reviews. If I were me, like the post above me, I would want to go with the HS model. I've handled the BA and it is a little heavy and bulky.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

can the savages shoot as well as the rem 700 cdl? I always hear people say that out of all their guns the 700's out shoot any of their collection. i am only asking because i am looking at savage 111 left hand and rem 700 left hand (sps or cdl)