Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What to get to clean my rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM

What to get to clean my rifle?

Hopefully this week my P.A.L finally arrives and I can take my 700 home from purgatory. Is there a particular kit that is stocked with everything I will need, or should I piece a kit together? What solvents are recommended for my new toy? Is a bore snake the way to go or get a bore guide and use a rod? I think I have read enough on how to break in the barrel ( 3-5 shots clean, repeat for 50 rounds then every 10 rounds and clean for 50 more.) Do the kits already come with everything needed or do I have to add?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: What to get to clean my rifle?

Call Sinclair. They have everything you need.

1) Quality bore guide.
2) Quality, one piece rod....either SS or coated. There are two schools of thought on that one. I have the Dewey (sp) coated rod(s). I use two...one with a jag and one with a brush...saves time.
3) Take you pick on the juice...I use Butches bore shine, Sweets copper remover, JB bore paste, ISSO, Wipe out foam and liquid, and good break cleaner to clean everything up. It was stated on this form somewhere that a good carberator cleaner will remove carbon...I will find out soon enough.
4) Jags...I use Dewey in the proper caliber. I also have them in smaller calibers for when I want to patch in something, like copper remover, and leave as much as possible in the bore. Too tight a fit and you do not leave much in the bbl. Get a few of them...they are cheap.
5) Brushes.....I use bronze brushes....a lot of them. Get them a dozen at a time. Also get a couple of nylon brushes.
6) Patches...Get LOTS of them....For a 30 and 28 cal I use the 2 1/4 square. For the 6.5 and 6mm I use the 1 3/4 in squares.
7) Get an action cleaning tool...I grease my lugs a lot, so I clean my action every time I clean the bore.
8) Get a good bore mop. I always put a patch on the mop....gets the patches dirty instead of the mop...they last forever that way.
9) Get a tube of action grease...kind of like a plastic syringe(sp). I also use some very lightweight oil in my bore after cleaning and on my bolt.
10) I recomend a bolt dissasembly tool....saves time and some skin.

Get a good kit to store everything. Get rod storage casses.

Last edited by 4xforfun; 10-09-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgunner View Post
Hopefully this week my P.A.L finally arrives and I can take my 700 home from purgatory. Is there a particular kit that is stocked with everything I will need, or should I piece a kit together? What solvents are recommended for my new toy? Is a bore snake the way to go or get a bore guide and use a rod? I think I have read enough on how to break in the barrel ( 3-5 shots clean, repeat for 50 rounds then every 10 rounds and clean for 50 more.) Do the kits already come with everything needed or do I have to add?
Here are two really good reads on the subject. (just click)

Bore Brushing--How Much is Too Much?

Bore Cleaning Method

Jon
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

I like Wipe Out. It doesn't work as fast as some other cleaners, but I'm never in a hurry when cleaning.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

I keep hearing about this "wipe out".. what exactly does it do and what makes it different than other cleaning products?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
I keep hearing about this "wipe out".. what exactly does it do and what makes it different than other cleaning products?
It has a soapy feel to it. It isn't real harsh like some of the other solvents. It cleans copper out really well. You do have to let it set for good penetration. When breaking in the barrel, I let it set for about a half hour for the first 5-10 shots. When I am doing a thorough cleaning, I will let it set in the barrel overnight. It won't damage your barrel if you start cleaning and forget about it for a few days. You do have to use stainless steel or nickel equipment when using this stuff. You can get a false copper reading if you use brass rods and jags to clean. It's essentially a no scrub solution also. Run the first down soaked to get the initial powder residue out, then push a swab down soaked with Wipe Out. Run it in and out so that it foams up. Let it set for an hour. Run dry patches through until they stop turning blue. You may need to do this process twice until the barrel is broke in. I like it. It smells nice, and again is not harsh or damaging to the rifling.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.