Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What does it take to hit at a mile?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What does it take to hit at a mile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
All very sound advice.

I do however like to have a tarp or something out front to cut down dust signature and blow back dust.

As silly as it may sound to some let me add one more.

Try to time your trigger release between heartbeats.

Even the slightest twitch at this kind of range is enough to turn a hit into a miss.
Agreed, the tarp out front would not be a problem as long as it is not under the bipod and would create a cushen or a slip. I will never own another radial brake again so dust blasts are a ting of the past for me.

+1 on the heartbeat. If you can see it in the scope you need to learn to deal with it in one fashon or another. Sometimes a few deep breaths and let 1/2 out and hold will work too. The main thing is learn to control heartbeat if present and visable, weather it be timing or mentally reducing it. It can be dealt with.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver10 View Post
Broz, thats some great info.. I liked it so much that I printed it out as a reference...
Thank You, it works for me and the more I shoot the more it all becomes part of every shot.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Agreed, the tarp out front would not be a problem as long as it is not under the bipod and would create a cushen or a slip. I will never own another radial brake again so dust blasts are a ting of the past for me.

+1 on the heartbeat. If you can see it in the scope you need to learn to deal with it in one fashon or another. Sometimes a few deep breaths and let 1/2 out and hold will work too. The main thing is learn to control heartbeat if present and visable, weather it be timing or mentally reducing it. It can be dealt with.

Jeff
We covered a lot of this in this thread.

Trigger timing, training, practice

I live in and served in a lot of very dusty/sandy country. Even with a complete side discharge or forward angle discharging break you can easily get the target obscured/and or get quite the dust bath when firing in the prone.

Putting the tarp in front of the bipod/rest extending just about six feet square eliminates the problem completely.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Don't be discouraged. It's sounds like you are doing everything right. Shooting at a mile any little condition change can effect the bullet impact. A small gust of wind or let up can push or pull the bullet right or left of your target. Sounds like the conditions were effecting your bullet. It happens in ELR shooting. If you go out tomorrow I'm sure the conditions will be much different.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Bronze Member

So after reading your suggestions I came up with a list of items to help me connect at a mile and changed my goal of hitting a 15 inch target to hitting it on the first shot. Let me know what I forgot or left out.
royinidaho
I agree more shots will increase my odds of connecting so I am going to shoot 20 shots per outing no more no less.
A bigger target will increase my odds of a hit but I am not willing to lower a standard to gain success, so the largest target I will ever shoot at is 15 inches. 2000 Yards and 2640 will be the next milestones.
Windflags, windflags, windflags, at a minimum I will be setting up flags at the target at 1000 yards and where I shoot from. I will probably get the kestral weather vane for my meter so I can monitor the wind constantly instead of just before I shoot.
338 Allen Mag (I wish) 338 Edge is what I will be using. My buddies were using a 300 RUM and a 6.5-284. 6.5 surprised everyone not because it made it but because it kicked up more than enough dust to see impacts.
BROZ
Even though I would love to shoot prone my prone position isn't developed enough to shoot to a mile (in my opinion) so I am kind of married to the bench. I did notice when I lean into the bench and crush my chest my heartbeat is less noticable. Here's a pic so you can see the flat I am leaning against.
I didn't adust for parralax on every shot because I was maxed out but I did notice on some shots if I moved it then maxed it out again the sight picture cleared up so I will do this for every shot.
I didn't think of cooking ammo this may have had some effect on my high and low misses, so I am not going to shoot more than 2 without a cooling break.
I did have a jacket under my bag and didn't think about it affecting POI. I do need some extra height so the butt of the rifle doesn't rest on the bench so I am getting a taller bag before my next outing. I don't have a scope level so I will get one as well because leveling the crosshairs just wont cut it at a mile, hopefully it brings my left and right in a little bit.
WildRose
Thanks for the link I will practice timming my trigger break between heartbeats.
I'm going to make a checklist and put it on a card untill I memorize it, hopefully it helps with shot to shot consistency here's what I have:
Bag positon on rifle (needs to be the same every shot)
Natural POA (muscle the rifle as little as possible)
Parralax (adjust it every shot)
Wind (speed and direction)
Dry fire once before every shot
1000 yard warm up prior to shooting a mile
I am also going to keep a mile log book it will have the following:
Before Firing
Date, Time, Range, Ammo, Light (where are shadows use clock format direction of fire is 12), Mirage (can it be seen good, fair, poor), Temp (ambient, barrel?), Wind (current, average)
After Firing
Elevation used (MOA), Wind call with windage used (MOA), Impact location (clock format high is 12 include distance from target)
Lastly I've been using the following rules of thumb please correct me if I'm wrong or you use something else:
20 Degree change in temperature equals 1 MOA shift in impact
20 percent change in R.H. equals 1 MOA shift in impact
Baro Pressure I do not compensate what is a good rule ie. 1000 ft change in alt equals 1 MOA
Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What does it take to hit at a mile?-2011-11-20_10-06-58_547.jpg  
Fed 210M
Nosler Case
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger

Well there's your problem, your shooting from the wrong side of the gun!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

I have a test for you if you like??? Do you have a video camera? If not maybe borrow one. Set it up next to you on a tripod on the bench. Then zoom it in on a target at 500 or so yards. Record while you shoot. I did this on a concrete bench at a local range. Legs are poured into concrete in the ground. I was amazed at how much some benches move under recoil. I am betting you will be to and go to the ground prone.

Jeff