Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What do your drop charts look like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: What do your drop charts look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Michael,

I love your chart. I assume that is the calculator you put together?

Is there an easy way to output the data from your calculator by MOA instead of by yardage? In other words, list the drops associated with a reticle (like the NF NP-R1)? I currently have to go through all the exbal data and manually create my drop chart for each moa from -10 through +30moa.

AJ
Thank you AJ. Yes that is one of the calculators I have put together.

It is set up for inches, MILS, NP-R2 Bars or clicks.

I am not 100% sure what you are asking but if it is set up for NP-R2 bars it simply tells you that at a given yardage or in meters how many bars you need for a hit.

An example is when setting up for a shot at 1000 yards and set for bars, it will tell you you need 9.81 bars instead of 5.7 mils etc.....

Below is an example. The screen shot is only to 700 yards but you get the idea.

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, close but not quite. What I need is the output that shows the bar and the yardage for that exact MOA.
Like this (moa and yardage from 10 above the crosshair to 30 below) (I use the NP-R1)

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 04-15-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

It has not been assembled that way.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Just a small suggestion here. I also put my dope for the most common air density in my Butler Creek scope cap ocular cover for the reticle i'm using. Any additional information i may need goes into a Butler Creek Blizzard style objective cover. The clear plastic piece is held in place by a spring clip. If u pull that out, the plastic piece comes out and u can put a lot of dope on a sticker and attach it to a thin piece of circular cardborad and put it all back in the BC so when it pops open it's right there to see without having to get out of position to reference it. I have also found that the Blizzard holds onto the scope tube better when switched to a std. BC scope barrel mount. The one that comes with the Blizzard is too flimsy, and tends to slip off when it gets hot out.

That's a lof of info AJ--well thought out!