Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What do you think of this???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

What do you think of this???

Big Horn Sheep Killing: A Betrayal of Trust | Allen M. Jones | Travel & Outdoors | NewWest.Net

Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you think of this???

I agree with the author, the greatest crime was committed by the fish and wildlife agent.

Good thing the agent wasn't trying to sting someone for hiring a murderer, he'd have had to kill someone!

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, they should hang the agent right along with the rest of them.

If these guys had been associated with previous sheep kills, enough to raise suspicions of outfitting, why not press the past "clients" to cough up some evidence against the Outfitter, for imunitty from participation in those acts.

No, go ahead and have a sting, where the sheep and the residence of Montana are the ones who suffer. If I was a Montana resident hunter, I would be swamping my representativs with mail and calls.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

IMO the fish and game should be charged and put in jail along with the the other criminals. He shot and missed twice. That seems to me reason enough to end the operaton. I fail to see what more they gained by actually killing the animal. If we as hunters accidentally shoot an illeagal animal we would be put through the ringer.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Being the guy who shot (legally) the first B&C ram (score 185) out of the breaks back in 89. Here's my $.02... It is well known that there are poaching problems in the breaks, especially with sheep. If FW&P didn't conduct undercover operations a lot more trophy animals would be lost than this one sheep. It is a real shame the ram was shot, especially being a state record. But.... how many trophies would be lost to poachers without the efforts of the FW&P. Now I cant see where these guys really did much wrong, but I'm guessing that FW&P had a lot of intel on these guys before they started this operation. Why did Lewton offer to buy the ram for $5000???

I think there is a lot of information missing from this story and we are all rushing to judgement before all the facts are known. NEVER a good idea to makes judgements before knowing all the facts. So yeah, we see a monster ram killed and we get very upset. I wonder how many trophy sheep these guys may be responsible for taking illegally in the past??? Would your opnions and attitudes be different if you knew they had shot a half dozen or dozen nice rams in years past?

FW&P is by no means perfect and I have some critiques for this opperation. Why didn't they set it up as a poaching sting? Or illegal outfitting and guiding? Not very smart for sure. Did the ram have to be shot? That can be debated forever.

I would rather have an imperfect FW&P that screws up now and then than no FW&P at all. In the case of the latter, we would have precious few nice animals to hunt in Montana.

I know a couple of FW&P agents or former agents and they are great guys. There's a couple of bad apples too, just like anywhere else in our society.

my $.02

-MR
Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

All the maybe's aside, what makes the MFWP above the law. They committed a more serious crime than what they have charged the "criminals" with. If these guys were serious poachers, I'm sure they would be charging them with something more serious than trespassing and guiding without a license (both of which sound a little shaky after reading more on the situation). The ONLY felony they are charged with is unlawful possession of a sheep that the MFWP killed!...which, if the trespassing charge fails the unlawful possession would fail too as that sounds like the only thing that made it illegal (tag was valid, open season). And who wouldn't pay $5000 for the Montana state record sheep head if you have the money? The whole thing sounds like it is treading dangerously close to entrapment.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Having had 5 yrs game law enforecemnt experience I would have to say the agent went far beyond the limits of 'working undercover' and should be summarily fired...then arrested and charged with multiple aggravated misdemeanors to equal a felony.

NRA Life Member