Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What to or buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Gold Member
Re: What to or buy

Get the sendaro stock and get a custom build on the SPS when you can afford it. you can bed the action onto the stock now and the smaler barrel will not be any trouble. when it is shot out get the action trued and get a new barrel fitted and choose the calibre you want i would look at a 338 Edge or 300 Ultra as other options or even the 300 Win MAg with a long throat and faster twist to take 240gr projectiles. this way you can take your time to build wnat you want and not be limited by the factory calibres also you could sell your 300 win mag barrel and get the work done now. By building a custom on the SPS and Sendaro stock you will have a rifle better than a factory sendaro for less than it would cost to do the extra work to the sendaro.

Cheers Bill

Unread 02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

what brand of barrels do you guys recommend?

If I do end up some day wanting a 338 Edge.....wouldn't I just be better off getting the Sendero in 300 RUM so I don't end up having to get a larger box mag for the Ultra based cases and feed rail & ramp work?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
Unread 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Lilja is always a sure bet for a quality match barrel. They take a while to get, but you cant rush perfection. I wouldnt recomend shilen anymore. They used to be great but the barrels available to you and me have not been so hot in recent years. I have an ABS barrel in the works and will let all know how that one turns out. All other reports have been good.

Others here have used a host of other great barrels and I will leave the comments about those to the shooters that have used them.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 02-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Michael, don't write Shilen off just yet. They went through some difficult times but the last couple of barrels I got from them not only shot very well but were delivered in 3 weeks.