Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What could be wrong with my technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What could be wrong with my technique?

Trigger pull is 1.5# and very crisp. It's a fully custom gun with a Jewell trigger, Eliseo tube gun stock and Krieger barrel. It can deffinetally shoot better than I can. I'm going to try the things mentioned and watch the video. The stock is fully adjustable so the possibalities are endless but I'm going to try one thing at a time. Do you agree that if everything is correct the poa should not change when dry firing
Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagrantb View Post
Do you agree that if everything is correct the poa should not change when dry firing
Agreed.
I am having the same problem with my .308 AR. No matter the hold or rest it ends up .2 mils right. The advice I was given was to try snap caps and see if that helps. It didn't for me. Think my aftermarket hammer spring causes too hard a strike.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

Try using a different rifle (preferably one set up as close to the same as your current rifle). See if the problem consistent when you are using any rifle or just this one. Then perhaps it the firing pin hitting to hard. The snap cap idea is a good one to try. I always lean on the problem lying with the shooter first so I would start there. Don't over think it because you'll do more harm than good. Concentrate instead on a good squeeze that surprises you and a great follow through (don't even blink). I would try it again with the same rifle first and if it happens again move over to a different rifle using the same technique and see what happens. If you are going to change anything about your technique or positioning do it one thing at a time so you can isolate how that change affects your results. In other words don't change your grip with your trigger hand, your support hand, and your body position all in one shot. Good luck, let us know what you find!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE]If its when you pull the trigger and you already have established good natural point of aim, it has got to be something to do with body positioning. Especially since you do it without recoil.

My guess is that your hand hold is rather to tight, remeber to hold on just enough that you can control the rifle through recoil./QUOTE]

You may have something here. I was playing around with it this evening. I settled into my usual position and had the same results, the first thing I did was settle in position but before firing I completely relaxed my firing hand and it didn't move the POA I then alternated between my normal hold and the relaxed hold and it was obvious. I loaded the bipods and had a good cheek weld but it didn't matter, when I held the pistol grip with what I thought normal pressure the POA would change. I will continue to experiment with this but at least I'm off to a good start.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM

I shoot hand cannons and used to experience the left pull with my S&W .460, until I was coached to use the "fat" of the end of the finger instead of the bend/last joint of finger for trigger pulls. Solved the problem.