close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

What change in moa can I expect?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 164
What change in moa can I expect?

I have my drops tested out 1000 yards, I have a 330 yard zero and my drop in moa at 1000 yards is 20moa, elvation is 400 ft, temp 60 farenheit, and pressure I think was 29.38 in hg.
Now I am going hunting in Saskatchewan in the end of November, the Temp will probably be around 0 farenheit if were lucky, the elevation will be 1650 ft average, by how much will my drop be affected in moa? And what calculations do I need to do to get to correct my drops?
I am not sure what the baro pressure will be there? Or is that a standard that depends on altitude?
Thank you
Elmer
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: What change in moa can I expect?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmerdeer View Post
    I have my drops tested out 1000 yards, I have a 330 yard zero and my drop in moa at 1000 yards is 20moa, elvation is 400 ft, temp 60 farenheit, and pressure I think was 29.38 in hg.
    Now I am going hunting in Saskatchewan in the end of November, the Temp will probably be around 0 farenheit if were lucky, the elevation will be 1650 ft average, by how much will my drop be affected in moa? And what calculations do I need to do to get to correct my drops?
    I am not sure what the baro pressure will be there? Or is that a standard that depends on altitude?
    Thank you
    Elmer
    Cold temperatures will have the most effect because of the ammunition.

    Most people just keep there ammo in there pocket until time to use it unless you have time
    and a place to verify the zeros.

    This is a good place for the detachable Magazine. you can keep it in your pocket and then just snap it in the rifle just befor the shot.

    I allways recomend checking the zero at the site to be hunted but this is not always possible
    so try to maintain conditions that are similar to those at home.

    One thing to check before you go into that kind of cold weather , Remove the firing pin and
    remove ALL grease and oil from it .It wont hurt the rifle and it will assure that you dont have
    grease and oil stiffening up and preventing the rifle from firing. (IT Happens all the time).

    Good luck and stay warm.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 1,845
    Re: What change in moa can I expect?

    At 1K knowing the ES is critical---will make the difference in a clean kill and a messy one or a complete miss due to vertical dispersion.

    Also JE is spot on about the bolt!!!!!!! Have seen that one happen.
    __________________
    The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 164
    Re: What change in moa can I expect?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
    At 1K knowing the ES is critical---will make the difference in a clean kill and a messy one or a complete miss due to vertical dispersion.

    Also JE is spot on about the bolt!!!!!!! Have seen that one happen.
    My ES is very good its under 15 avg over all my rounds, I have shot this load at 1000 yards and it has done very well, and my gun is spic and span inside out LOL> You guys are right if anything can go wrong in Saskatchwan it will in those temp!!
    I am just curious about how much of a difference in elevation and those temps would make if my clip is in my poket and my bulltes are warm, I am going from sea level to 1650ft, but those temps will be lower by about 60 dergrees from where I have tested my loads.
    The powder I am using is Retumbo.
    Thanks
    Elmer
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Falls Church, VA
    Posts: 3,474
    Re: What change in moa can I expect?

    It's difficult to say how much your velocity will change as a result fo the temperature. Also, tough to say how much your trajectory will changed based on density altitude. Personally, I use Exbal ballistic software. I've done the necessary trajectory validation so that the software is darn close to the actual trajectory. Then, enter my field conditions and it adjusts accordingly.

    Long way to say...use some software and take the guess work out of the equation.

    I was out this past weekend and my software was dialed-in very well out to 1180 yards...

    AAR: Training at CVT with Ed Shell - Maryland Shooters
    __________________
    I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-29-2010, 09:20 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: SW Montana
    Posts: 5,639
    Re: What change in moa can I expect?

    I shoot my 270 WSM loading with Retumbo in temps from -30 to 90 degrees and I have yet to see any changes due to powder temp with Retumbo. What are you using for drops, a chart or software? If your using charts I would plug them into JBM and then create more charts changing the elevation but using a couple different temps like 0 and 25 degrees.
    In MT during late rifle I can go from 5000ft elevation to 8000ft elevation and 0 in the morning to 30+ degrees during the day in a single day of hunting, it honestly hurts my brain thinking about making charts to figure it all out as apposed to software.
    Good luck
    __________________
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body"
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 164
    Re: What change in moa can I expect?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
    I shoot my 270 WSM loading with Retumbo in temps from -30 to 90 degrees and I have yet to see any changes due to powder temp with Retumbo. What are you using for drops, a chart or software? If your using charts I would plug them into JBM and then create more charts changing the elevation but using a couple different temps like 0 and 25 degrees.
    In MT during late rifle I can go from 5000ft elevation to 8000ft elevation and 0 in the morning to 30+ degrees during the day in a single day of hunting, it honestly hurts my brain thinking about making charts to figure it all out as apposed to software.
    Good luck
    I am using charts from JBM and my real life drops match my charts at the elvation I tested it at, and I have pluged in all the different numbers of the elavation and temps and I come up wit a 1 moa difference fro 60 degrees at 400 ft to 0 degrees at 1650 ft so I am wondering if thats about right?
    The reason that I have'nt got a software is I only hunt and shoot at 2 different elevations ,sea level and around 1600-1700 ft.
    OH and with Retumbo I also have noticed any velocity change on big temp swings.
    Thanks
    Elmer
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: What change in moa can I expect?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What should I expect to spend.... Extremehunter Long Range Hunting & Shooting 14 02-02-2011 08:36 AM
    What should I expect from a .243. robbobsam Long Range Hunting & Shooting 25 06-23-2010 05:15 PM
    what should i expect..257 Wby mag sniperjwt Long Range Hunting & Shooting 9 02-21-2010 02:39 PM
    what velocity can i expect? midwesthunter Long Range Hunting & Shooting 1 09-01-2009 11:24 AM
    What should I expect from my rifle? Kenster-Boy The Basics, Starting Out 4 09-16-2004 01:11 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC