Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What case cleaning method and media do you use?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What case cleaning method and media do you use?

What case cleaning method do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: What case cleaning method do you use?

To me this is a no brainer....I have both a Thumler Tumbler and Harbor Freight small tumbler. If I was going to do it over, I would've just bought the HF one and do small batches. Doesn't take much $$$ to get started this way. Brass looks better than new when done.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM

So I've got to ask all you STM fans don't you find the media separation, water and all that a real pain? I thought hard about it but fooling with all that then ending up with a bunch of wet brass.... Just not worth a little extra shine at least that is where I ended up with admittedly no real experience with the process other watching a couple You Tubes.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

Whats wrong with wet brass? It will dry.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsniper View Post
Whats wrong with wet brass? It will dry.
agree 100%, once I separate the pins I blow them with my air compressor and put them neck down in my loading block.........after 20 years of vibratory cleaning trying ultrasonic the STM rotary method is hands down the best option!!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpayne2000 View Post
So I've got to ask all you STM fans don't you find the media separation, water and all that a real pain? I thought hard about it but fooling with all that then ending up with a bunch of wet brass.... Just not worth a little extra shine at least that is where I ended up with admittedly no real experience with the process other watching a couple You Tubes.
STM removes a bunch of stuff from the inside of cartridge cases. One test we did shown an average increase in cases volume close to 1 grain by tumbling fired .300 Win Mag cases in STM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpayne2000 View Post
It may be a little more work but here is why i do it

1. brass is cleaner inside and out

2. no toxic dust in my house

3. total time is less with wet versus dry for me 2 hr tumble and 3hr dry for wet, 6-10 tumble for dry and they are not clean.

4. cleaner brass in means dies don't get as dirty -- saves dies in my opinion

5. the not so humble I like how they shine

6. cleaner brass make inspection a lot easier to do inside and out.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

If you go ahead and pull all the brass out of your can after tumbling with STM, if you find a piece of mesh screen that will cover the top of your canister you can drain all the water out and not lose any STM, then I just dump the STM on a rag and let it air dry, no mess, no problem.