Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What case cleaning method and media do you use?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What case cleaning method and media do you use?

What case cleaning method do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What case cleaning method do you use?

Currently cook them in the sonic cleaner for a while at a high temp, then polish for about 10-12 hours in a vebratory tumbler filled with corncob media and Frankford Arsensal brass polish.

Works good, but I would love to make it a one-step process and order the STM setup.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

I use a ultrasonic it comes out clean. brass it is not bright but i don't care. clean is all i nead. About 25 min.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 AM
Bronze Member

I started polishing cases about 50 years ago with just some 0000 steel wool. 15 years ago went to viberator with walnut shell and polishing compound. A couple years ago in Cabela's Bargain Cave and came out with a Lyman Ultrasonic, and Lyman compound. Also bought a large and small RCBS de-prime only dies, Love these, So I can clean cases before running through the resizing dies. On cases with several reloads, A 24 hour soak starting in 160 degree water and Blue high test Dawn makes the cases clean a lot faster in the ultrasonic. For pretty cases I like to clean in the ultrasonic. Then resize, do all prep work, wipe of as much lube as possible the put them in the Viberator with walnut shell and compound for that pretty shiny outside. Wear a T-shirt glove on left hand to keep them pretty. Here is a stand for drying wet bath cases. 16d finishing nails. The nails do rust a little. Now to a welding shop for some stainless steel welding rod and cut the into 3 5/8 inch lengths.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What case cleaning method do you use?-dsc01668.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Lee zip trim and green scotch pad. Only takes a few seconds per case.

Then the occational vibratory with corncob.
Attached Images

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Lee zip trim and green scotch pad. Only takes a few seconds per case.

Then the occational vibratory with corncob.
Never used stainless, but i havent found anything that is better for cleaning the INSIDE of the case and primer pockets than the ultrasonic cleaners. It does a pretty good job on the outsides of the cases as well, but obviously not as well as the abrasive methods. I just simply use the steel wool approach to clean off any residue that is left. Dont really care if i impress anyone with shiny brass
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Why was there no "I don't clean my brass" option?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Why was there no "I don't clean my brass" option?
Well the name of the topic is what CLEANING METHOD do you use. Doing nothing isnt really a cleaning method haha. If you dont clean your brass then this is probably not a good topic to be browsing in