Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What Can I do to my 700 in .270?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Bronze Member

What Can I do to my 700 in .270?

What can I do Remington 700 ADL in 270, I know it would be cheaper than buying a whole new rifle, so as of now, all I have done is Free floated the barrel, put a VX-I 3-9x40 with the long range reticle, and a harris bipod.

So...My question is, what else should/can I do to it to get better accuracy?

I have started handloading, and I am not opposed to getting a new scope, stock, and whatever else you can think of!

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What Can I do to my 700 in .270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbailey View Post
What can I do Remington 700 ADL in 270, I know it would be cheaper than buying a whole new rifle, so as of now, all I have done is Free floated the barrel, put a VX-I 3-9x40 with the long range reticle, and a harris bipod.

So...My question is, what else should/can I do to it to get better accuracy?

I have started handloading, and I am not opposed to getting a new scope, stock, and whatever else you can think of!

Thanks
How well is it shooting now?

Start with a good pillar bedding job, or maybe if you feel like treating yourself put it into a nice stock that has the built in full length aluminum bedding block and glass it in.

If it doesn't have a good brake on it, you might consider one if you think that recoil/flinching might be affecting your accuracy.

Has the action been trued and lugs lapped?

How many rounds does it currently have down the pipe?

Have you had the chamber scoped to see what shape it is in?

Does it have a standard sporter crown or a good target crown?

There's an endless list of possibilities. Starting with a model 700 though you have a lot to work with.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Bronze Member

I also plan on buying a Shilen trigger and adjusting down to about 2 lbs or so as well.

Do you think it is a better idea to glass and pillar bed the stock that came with the rifle, or buy a new rifle with the aluminum bedding block?

The action has not been trued and the lugs have not been lapped, what all in involved in these processes?

It doesnt even have 100 rounds down the barrel. 2 boxes of Remington Core Lokts, and 2 and half boxes of Hornady Superformance.

Being the ADL, I would imagine that it only has the standard sporter crown, but what is the difference, and how much will that effect the performance of the rifle?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbailey View Post
I also plan on buying a Shilen trigger and adjusting down to about 2 lbs or so as well.
No need unless you just want one. A decent gunsmith can do you a great trigger job with what you have alread.

Quote:
Do you think it is a better idea to glass and pillar bed the stock that came with the rifle, or buy a new rifle with the aluminum bedding block?
Me, I'd save my money and just buy a good Bell and Carlson or similar stock that has the full length aluminum bedding block. Check Stocky's or maybe Stockade Custom Stocks .

Quote:
The action has not been trued and the lugs have not been lapped, what all in involved in these processes?
Factory weapons generally have lower tolerances than you will get with custom rifles. As those tolerances add up errors increase and accuracy decreases. We have some members here who are gun builders and custom gunsmiths who can do that or see if there is a quality gun smith in your area who can do it. Cost varies from a couple of hundred to five hundred or so.

Quote:
It doesnt even have 100 rounds down the barrel. 2 boxes of Remington Core Lokts, and 2 and half boxes of Hornady Superformance.
Then it's got plenty of life left in it.

Quote:
Being the ADL, I would imagine that it only has the standard sporter crown, but what is the difference, and how much will that effect the performance of the rifle?
Most factory guns have a pretty sorry crown on them and it is cocave or bubbles out to the front. A good target crown is usually 11-13degrees and concave or curved inward slightly. The crown when done properly greatly reduces buffeting as the bullet leaves the barrel by directing it down and out rather than out and all over.

Ask yourself how much you want to spend and then prioritize.

At a minimum you want to do a good free float and pillar bedding, along with a target crown. That alone may/may not solve your problems.

Personally I hate factory stocks so one of the first things on my list with any new rifle is to get a stock I like that fits me well with the full length bedding block and free float and then go from there.

The 270 isn't noted for being a heavy recoil beast ( Recoil Calculator ) but if it has enough recoil to make you flinch or just to make shooting less than enjoyable you might consider a good muzzle brake as well. Keep in mind though that all muzzle brakes make the gun louder, and depending on which direction they vent the gasses and hence the sound can be loud enough to be tough on anyone shooting beside you.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

Wild rose gave you good info. Lots of options for laminated thumb hole stocks for 700's. Stocks that come straight back are nice for shooting. The recoil doesn't cause the barrel to rise.

I have a 700 sps with and adjustable trigger. I used a weighted bag and got my trigger down to 2 pounds. It really helps.

You did not say your barrel length or contour. I shoot a heavy long barrel 270. It was the best thing I ever did to it
Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Pbailey- i really like the shilen triggers. they are hard to install. if you google "remington crisp " you should be able to get your remington trigger adjusted ; most are real good . the fastest and cheapest way to an accurate rifle is to put a krieger barrel on it. you do not say where you are or what you are shooting at.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

I'm thinking McMillan a3 sporter (not on website) for mine but not sure about price. If you get a B and C and keep the factory barrel you will have a big gap stock to barrel. Definitely free floated though!