close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 415
What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

Since I am getting into rebarreling for my savage I might start looking at different calibers. Since I am keeping my mighty 7mag I would also like a larger caliber for future long range shooting/hunting. I am toying with the idea of what my next caliber should be.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 02-15-2009, 08:02 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: OHIO
    Posts: 2,417
    Re: What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

    Quote:
    What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?
    Make a bigger hole and shoot a bigger bullet.

    Make life simple and get a 338 RUM.
    __________________
    Derek M.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: AB, Canada
    Posts: 556
    Re: What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

    Instead getting 338RUM get a 338edge . More case capacity (7%) then a 338 rum. The accuracy is

    UNBELIEVABLE . This 338Edge is great rifle, easy and affordable to reload, and after you get one, you will never go back.
    __________________
    Thanks
    CJ
    My 338Edge
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: SC
    Posts: 415
    Re: What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
    Instead getting 338RUM get a 338edge . More case capacity (7%) then a 338 rum. The accuracy is

    UNBELIEVABLE . This 338Edge is great rifle, easy and affordable to reload, and after you get one, you will never go back.
    I dont reload though, I wish I did. I am JUST getting into basic gunsmithing. I dont think I am anywhere near reloading yet. I have heard amazing things about the edge and watched many a youtube videos on it.
    __________________



    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: OHIO
    Posts: 2,417
    Re: What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

    So, get a 338 RUM and a 29" barrel. Done.
    __________________
    Derek M.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
    I dont reload though, I wish I did. I am JUST getting into basic gunsmithing. I dont think I am anywhere near reloading yet. I have heard amazing things about the edge and watched many a youtube videos on it.
    There is a way you can have your cake and eat it to.

    If you like the edge but want to stay with something factory then get an extended
    mag box and you can make up the difference between the 338 RUM and the 338
    edge in powder capacity by seating the bullets longer and not encroaching as much
    in the case using up powder space.

    Of corse if you do this with the 300/338 you can boost powder capacity in it also.

    When I built mine I used a Weatherby MK 5 action because it was .100 thousandth
    longer. ( The difference in the case body length of a 338 RUM and the 300/338 is
    about .090 thousandth.

    The 338 RUM delivers 25% more muzzel energy than the 338 Win Mag and that should
    be enough for anything on this continent.

    Mine will produce 3100 ft/sec with a 250 gr Noz Accubond in a 27" barrel.(stiff but not Max).

    I'm not sure what the 300/338 will do in this length barrel but it can't be much more because
    this almost matches the 338/378 and it has 12 to 14grs more capacity than the 300/338.

    Just an opinion
    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
    KRP KRP is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Kuna, ID
    Posts: 594
    Re: What can the 338 win mag do that the 300 RUM cant?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    There is a way you can have your cake and eat it to.

    If you like the edge but want to stay with something factory then get an extended
    mag box and you can make up the difference between the 338 RUM and the 338
    edge in powder capacity by seating the bullets longer and not encroaching as much
    in the case using up powder space.

    Of corse if you do this with the 300/338 you can boost powder capacity in it also.

    When I built mine I used a Weatherby MK 5 action because it was .100 thousandth
    longer. ( The difference in the case body length of a 338 RUM and the 300/338 is
    about .090 thousandth.

    The 338 RUM delivers 25% more muzzel energy than the 338 Win Mag and that should
    be enough for anything on this continent.

    Mine will produce 3100 ft/sec with a 250 gr Noz Accubond in a 27" barrel.(stiff but not Max).

    I'm not sure what the 300/338 will do in this length barrel but it can't be much more because
    this almost matches the 338/378 and it has 12 to 14grs more capacity than the 300/338.

    Just an opinion
    J E CUSTOM
    He doesn't reload. Where is he going to get factory ammo that's loaded that way? I understand and agree with the premise but I think you missed the "I don't reload" part.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC