Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

what caliber should I buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM

what caliber should I buy?

I am looking a deer rifle with tremendous knockdown power. Tired of deer running. Need rifle that will drop them where they stand. Also hunt elk, red stag and caribou. Largest quarry would be a kudu or gemsbok. Have had a lazzeroni warbird, but it was not consistently accurate and did not perform as advertised. Should I look at the 300 RUM, 338 Lapau, 338-378 Weatherby? Price is not a huge concern; will gladly pay for dependable performance. How about scopes...are Zeiss, svarosky, huskemow worth the money or are there cheaper models that perform equally well? Most of my shots are 400 yards or less. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: what caliber should I buy?

There are some videos on youtube.com of a guy shooting whitetails (yeah I know, not too tough to knock down, but still) from 600+ yards with a 7STW. I believe he's shooting 168 Bergers, and the thing just slams those whitetail.

You might be looking for something heavier, but a 7STW/7RUM would definitely beat the bejeesus out of just about any deer you shoot with it.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Bullet diameter has a huge effect on knock down ability so for what you want something
in 338 or larger would be my recommendation.

A good example is the 444 or 45/70. For short range they will up end almost anything
because the larger bullet transfers the energy to the game faster.

But for longer ranges you need something with better ballistics and still a large cross section.

Bullet selection and shot placement has a huge part of knock down ability also.

There is no best cartrige for everything so some compromises must be made. One way is to
have a medium to large bore rifle(300 to 338) and load different bullets at different velocities
for the game to be hunted and distances expected.

So for all round hunting I would chose something in a 300 mag to a 338 mag. or do what most
do and have several rifles from 7mm to 338 to be more specialized for certain game.

Look at the ballistics of the 300s and 338s and there energy levels and effective range for energy
(I use 1000 to 1200 ft/lbs for deer size game, and 2000 ft/lbs for Elk size game to determine
maximum range)

I know that this does not narrow it down very much but hopefully it will help.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Buckmaster you certainly have picked some expensive critters to hunt. I dont think being able to afford only one nice rifle is an issue. You obviously dont need to build only one rifle that combines every shooting sport known to man into one package! I would recommend any of the more popular .375 caliber rifles to you. You have stated realistic and very achievable yardages. The .375 has several advantages. Recoil is about the same as a 338 with the same bullet weights. It is extremely well natured and will shoot different bullet weights to the same P.O.I. which gives the ability to carry more than 1 bullet 1 for long range and 1 for close range. You are probably shooting from an elevated position such as off the top of sticks, and your bullet is probably not encountering any vegetation until about the last 30 yds. or so and the .375 will give a lot less bullet deflection than the .338. They are also more effective for the first 30 yds. For exciting moments they are also very good for shooting short ranges through the Briar and Bramble that a Rabbit couldn't go. ( Although I will never consider them a Dangerous game caliber)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Its not about horse power. Its about shot placement. I would buy a rifle that you can hit what you aim at. Many guys think they need a huge caliber rifle to kill something its not the case. If your only shooting 400 yards a 243 is plenty of gun. If you want to drop your deer in their track shoot them in the spine or neck. The problem with the big calibers is the recoil. Many guys try to shoot a 338 ultra mag in a 8lb rifle and the recoil is so great they can't shoot the rifle without flinching. Also try round nose bullets.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Its not about horse power. Its about shot placement. I would buy a rifle that you can hit what you aim at. Many guys think they need a huge caliber rifle to kill something its not the case. If your only shooting 400 yards a 243 is plenty of gun. If you want to drop your deer in their track shoot them in the spine or neck. The problem with the big calibers is the recoil. Many guys try to shoot a 338 ultra mag in a 8lb rifle and the recoil is so great they can't shoot the rifle without flinching. Also try round nose bullets.
I agree 100%. Instead of a new rifle...it appears he needs shooting lessons instead!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

There are sponsors on this forum that build custom rifles that train you how to shoot them also. There are several videos available on the online store that can help.