Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What bullet for California Black Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What bullet for California Black Bear

Pete I'm going with a guide by the name of Tex Anderson. Dang I ran into a great deal on a Rem 700 in 300RUM houge after market stock,with a leapold V 111 3.5x10 for $800.00 bucks.thru it on my card.Rifle shoots great in fact really great.Just I guess its too much gun.Thought I needed a fancey controlled expansion bullet,after listening to every body.I'll just use Hornady 190 gr SPBT.I can spit them dudes out at 3250 with out pressure signs.So did you eat any of the bear you got? How big was it? How longt of a shot was it? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

Heck i'd love to come along, the bear hunt was fun, i was over visiting my sisterinlaw n brother inlaw at the time, he was stationed at Travis AFB. and the bear tasted GREAT, unfortunately i could only get a cool box full back on the KLM flight to Amsterdam, i gave the rest of the meat away, best game meat i ever tasted, had the texture and colour of very best beef with a superb taste and smell. Bear was a little over six foot( the rug is in my office at home), i forget what it weighed, 360kg comesto mind but that would make it a 700lbs black bear and i cant see that somehow, i wish i had had a game book at the time,, shot at a distance of about 15 feet, in the head just below the left eye, the 180 grain failsafe exited the right shoulder. With hind sight the 300 win mag was more gun than was needed but hell it did the job, with hindsight i wouldn't use the fail safes on anything but the toughest game, for black bear and large hogs i'd go with a Nostler partition, Hornady interbond, Lapua Mega or something of the like. Where abouts are you hunting (general area) we where up near Burney some where, i remember driving back through Lassen Park on the way back. You know if Randy Penland is still guiding? His borther had a construction business in Anderson, the whole family where hunters, who knows, its a small world maybe some one knows em or they evern look in here from time to time. I sure enjoyed the superb hospitality and the company of a great bunch of bear hunting guys.. i shall return..
Pete
Old 08-03-2004, 10:13 AM

IW,
Don't beat yourself up cuz you think you've got too much gun. 300RUM is an outstanding cartridge [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Since 200 yds is top end range wise I'd be thinking of the 200 - 220 gr weight bullets. Any of the high performance stuff will get you where you need to be, partition and accubond are both excellent. Buy 5 boxes of the same lot and head to the range. Do some ballistic research and find out where you want to put your X-hair for minimum AND maximum point blank shooting. Get some dope for a 25yd (or less) shot. I would guess a zero at about 135 yds would let you hold a 3-4" kill zone POA/POI out to almost 200yds. Once you set it go enjoy your hunt w/ confidence.

Cheers [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Silver Member

Hope this helps.There is a guy in southern Oregon who turns the bear meat into very long weenies.3 feet sounds about right but it could be 4 feet.They taste like those pepperoni sticks you get at a deli there just longer and most people dip them in a small jar of frenchs mustard.Your guide should know him as most bear guys do mine was Mike Hayes.Bone the meat out as he charges by the pound and bones seem to weigh alot when your paying the tab.
Lynn
Old 08-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Look no further: 300 RUM, 200 Accubond, Re25, WLRM primer. Have fun. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]