Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

What 30 Caliber Bullet for Bison?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

What 30 Caliber Bullet for Bison?

I'm shooting the 300 RUM in a semi-custom Rem Model 700 Sendero with a Douglas 28" 1 in 10" twist barrel. I have a great load worked up using the 215 Berger Hybrid bullet that has allowed me to take two nice whitetail bucks the last two years - one at 586 yards and one at 634 yards both one shot DRT.
While this bullet has performed exceptionally well on whitetail deer I realize it might not be the best bullet for larger and heavier boned game such as bison which I may have an opportunity to hunt later this year. I was thinking about working up some loads using either the 200 grain Nosler Accubond or Partition. Would these bullets be better than the Berger for bison or would you guys think the Berger would be OK? I don't expect the ranges to exceed 300 to 400 yards. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What 30 Caliber Bullet for Bison?

Interesting, I was just talking to a coworker last night who had taken a Bison last weekend with a .300win. I would recommend a heavy for caliber bullet such as the A-Frame or Barnes starting at 200grains. They can absorb a heck of a lot of lead but aren't bullet proof. The Berger might work, I have no idea i've never used them.

t

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Rangerman, As I stated in the other thread to your question, I have never taken a bison. But we too many elk with the 215 Berger. I don't see Bison as a hurry up deal so you should be able to put the bullet right where you want. For me that would be in the crease right behind the shoulder. Also in this below thread we took 19 big game animals with the 215 Berger. There are pics of entrances, exits and destroyed vitals. Look it over and see what you think.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-hybrid-88657/

Jeff
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Bison are very large animals and In my opinion need large, well constructed bullets.

My choices would be the 200 grain Accubond or the 220 grain Partition at those distances.

Both bullets are tough and well designed and will perform well. A big round nose bullet would
also work well but they are getting hard to find.

Load at or near the top pressures and they should hammer that big Buff.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM