Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Well the new STW is no longer a "virgin"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Well the new STW is no longer a "virgin"

Charles,
If you find something out, please pm me. I owned the gun for 15 years, swore it read "Classic Sporting SharpshooterII". Browsed through my for sale pics, of course they look like a first grader took them, so nothing there.
I'm starting to look like an idiot here, so am going to bow out.

All I know is, for a hunting rifle, it was the most accurate gun I had.
And am damn glad it went to a good home!!

Win custom shop is where I"d start, that is where I was told it originated from.

Happy New Year to all you guys.
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
That was the other idea I had as well. If HS did it they'd have one, if the Win Custom Shop did it, they should have one. Even if it was done at HS, Win should have it as well.

What Can I say??? Great minds... .
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo-2 View Post
Charles,
If you find something out, please pm me. I owned the gun for 15 years, swore it read "Classic Sporting SharpshooterII". Browsed through my for sale pics, of course they look like a first grader took them, so nothing there.

Win custom shop is where I"d start, that is where I was told it originated from.

Miles
Miles, mine has " Sporting Sharpshooter " engraved on the right hand side facing the rifle from the rear. There must have been a Couple of vendor changes at one point or another. They are BOTH quality pieces, have no doubt about it.
One thing about it, SOMEONE broke a bottle of Champagne over her bow!!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo-2 View Post
Charles,

Miles
I'll do some research and find out what I can. Don't feel bad, hell it sat in your safe for 15 years collecting dust so of course your recall isn't going to be 100%.

I was wondering myself so I checked again this evening. It's definitely a "Sharpshooter Sportsman" model.

I'm guessing the different variations in names relate to various options that the different models had.

It has now added three more coyotes to the total. The last was a pretty tricky shot actually. I was heading in last night and could just barely see something moving ahead of me just beyond the range of my headlights that just made me think "bobcat or coyote".

I stopped and put the vortex on him and sure enough it was a coyote trotting down the edge of the road ducking in and out of the cover.

I could barely make his outline out as he was approaching the crest of the little ridge when I positively Id'd him, pulled the trigger and watched the carnage ensue.

What can I say other than that this is probably the best shooting rifle I have ever owned.

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'll do some research and find out what I can. Don't feel bad, hell it sat in your safe for 15 years collecting dust so of course your recall isn't going to be 100%.

I was wondering myself so I checked again this evening. It's definitely a "Sharpshooter Sportsman" model.

I'm guessing the different variations in names relate to various options that the different models had.

It has now added three more coyotes to the total. The last was a pretty tricky shot actually. I was heading in last night and could just barely see something moving ahead of me just beyond the range of my headlights that just made me think "bobcat or coyote".

I stopped and put the vortex on him and sure enough it was a coyote trotting down the edge of the road ducking in and out of the cover.

I could barely make his outline out as he was approaching the crest of the little ridge when I positively Id'd him, pulled the trigger and watched the carnage ensue.

What can I say other than that this is probably the best shooting rifle I have ever owned.

Thanks again.

Wildrose,

I still have the original Shooting Times magazine where Layne Simpson reviewed all 3 versions ( there may have been 4 but I will have to find the mag to verify ). If I remember right there was a sharpshooter ( standard weight ), sporting sharpshooter ( heavy contoured barrel - around #6 - standard style stock - sounds like this is what you have ) and the marksman sharpshooter which is in a tactical type stock with heavy barrel. The 2 non standard models did have schneider barrels and mcmillan stocks. I don't remember about the standard as it did not interest me at the time. If you would like the magazine I would be willing to send it to you. You have a collectors item there and I am jealous!!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
Wildrose,

I still have the original Shooting Times magazine where Layne Simpson reviewed all 3 versions ( there may have been 4 but I will have to find the mag to verify ). If I remember right there was a sharpshooter ( standard weight ), sporting sharpshooter ( heavy contoured barrel - around #6 - standard style stock - sounds like this is what you have ) and the marksman sharpshooter which is in a tactical type stock with heavy barrel. The 2 non standard models did have schneider barrels and mcmillan stocks. I don't remember about the standard as it did not interest me at the time. If you would like the magazine I would be willing to send it to you. You have a collectors item there and I am jealous!!
Man what a great offer but if you have hung on to that magazine all these years it must really mean something to you.

If you could however by chance scan the article and email or snail mail it to me I'd very much appreciate it.

This is already proving to be a very special rifle for me. I've fired it at 3 deer and 7 coyotes and all have been one shot kills. The longest shot on a coyote so far was at over 500yds and he was trotting along pretty fast and anyone who's attempted such shots knows the challenge they pose to both rifle and shooter.

I knew it was a keeper the first time I opened the box and it's just getting better.

I'm seriously now considering taking one of my existing M70's and giving it a remake in .264wm with the same specs as the "Marksman Sharpshooter" tactical models for long range deer/antelope/coyotes.

If I do, that will probably be the Jewel in my M70 collection next to this rifle of course HA!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Man what a great offer but if you have hung on to that magazine all these years it must really mean something to you.

If you could however by chance scan the article and email or snail mail it to me I'd very much appreciate it.

This is already proving to be a very special rifle for me. I've fired it at 3 deer and 7 coyotes and all have been one shot kills. The longest shot on a coyote so far was at over 500yds and he was trotting along pretty fast and anyone who's attempted such shots knows the challenge they pose to both rifle and shooter.

I knew it was a keeper the first time I opened the box and it's just getting better.

I'm seriously now considering taking one of my existing M70's and giving it a remake in .264wm with the same specs as the "Marksman Sharpshooter" tactical models for long range deer/antelope/coyotes.

If I do, that will probably be the Jewel in my M70 collection next to this rifle of course HA!
I fell in love with the sporting sharpshooter the first time I saw it and with it being chambered in 7stw made it even more appealing. I will hunt down the mag in the morning and then i will decide the best way to get you the original or a copy. I ended up getting a Rem M700 SS DM-B in 7stw and I am still shooting it to this day.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
I fell in love with the sporting sharpshooter the first time I saw it and with it being chambered in 7stw made it even more appealing. I will hunt down the mag in the morning and then i will decide the best way to get you the original or a copy. I ended up getting a Rem M700 SS DM-B in 7stw and I am still shooting it to this day.
Thanks. Same here on the 700. When I fell in love with the caliber after reading several articles on it I went to my local gunshop to order one. No one was producing them at that time in a factory model but you could order one through the Remington custom shop and they only had about a 90 day wait...

That's the same rifle I used in my thread about my Longest Bobcat Ever, which is now the 2nd longest bobcat ever HA! It's still a pretty good shooter too.