Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Well the new STW is no longer a "virgin"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Well the new STW is no longer a "virgin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo-2 View Post
Wildrose,
Good story, good shooting.
The barrel is H-S Precision, I told you it would shoot. Hate to say it but those are first kills with it, I bought it for elk hunting, just forgot to go.
Glad you enjoy it, makes me feel a little better about selling it.
Miles
Milo you and I talked about it and you knew I was really stretching to get that deal done and while I wasn't nervous about dealing with you at all, the money and timing did make me sweat. Man am I glad the wife helped to talk me into it.

Are you sure the barrel is H-S? Everything I can find on the Sharpshooters tells me they all had the Shneider ultra match barrels on them and that each of them was true "Custom Rifle" rather than what you get when you buy something out of the "remington custom shop" which generally means nothing more than fancy ingraving and a much higher price.

To be honest it makes little difference to me if it is actually a stove pipe or someone's old tail pipe. The damned thing just shoots amazingly well and that Muzzle brake is just unreal. Even with these hot loads the recoil is like that of the .243 or less. I'm going to have to start a thread to see if anyone recognizes it and can Identify it's maker so I can try and get some more just like it. It's even suprisingly easy on the ears.

Thank you again for letting me give this rifle a good home. I will cherish it as will the person I plan to pass it onto when I'm done with it.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runshort View Post
Wildrose

Sounds like great end of the year hunt.
Thanks for sharing.
About what does your rig weigh.
I haven't put it on the scale but my bet is that scoped it's right around 8lbs, it's really a pleasure to carry.

I made an offhand shot with it on a 250yds running coyote with it this morning which considering how bad my left shoulder is tells you it's not overly heavy at all and extremely well balanced and right now I'm working with half of my left bicep detached due to a recent injury and I don't have time to get it fixed until at least April since this is my busy season.

I'd have never been able to pull off that shot this morning with one of the Sendero's that's for sure.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Milo you and I talked about it and you knew I was really stretching to get that deal done and while I wasn't nervous about dealing with you at all, the money and timing did make me sweat. Man am I glad the wife helped to talk me into it.

Are you sure the barrel is H-S? Everything I can find on the Sharpshooters tells me they all had the Shneider ultra match barrels on them and that each of them was true "Custom Rifle" rather than what you get when you buy something out of the "remington custom shop" which generally means nothing more than fancy ingraving and a much higher price.

To be honest it makes little difference to me if it is actually a stove pipe or someone's old tail pipe. The damned thing just shoots amazingly well and that Muzzle brake is just unreal. Even with these hot loads the recoil is like that of the .243 or less. I'm going to have to start a thread to see if anyone recognizes it and can Identify it's maker so I can try and get some more just like it. It's even suprisingly easy on the ears.

Thank you again for letting me give this rifle a good home. I will cherish it as will the person I plan to pass it onto when I'm done with it.
Wild Rose, I was told the same thing about mine from the dealer that I bought mine from. Mine has a bedded McMillan stock, blueprinted action, and a Schneider Barrel. And I think that the trigger is not a factory one, but do not know it's maker. But I do know that it is a sweet shooter, and had little to no wear when I bought it. The original owner became I'll shortly after purchasing it. It sat in his cabinet for years, " unloved", then he sold it to the gun shop that he worked at. Now, I own it, and it is one of my prized possessions.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Wild Rose, apparently, there were a couple of variations in the Custom Sharpshooter. I just saw one on GB that was listed as HS precision barreled. The stock on the one I saw is different from mine. When I first got mine, I did see one on GB that was identical to mine, and it was listing the Schneider barrel, and McMillan stock, as mine has. So maybe yours is HS. Who cares, those deer certainly don't care for it either way. Really love the story.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Nice job and great shooting! Whackin-N-Stackin!!

Jeff
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Wild Rose, I have that same rifle, and it is truly a jewel. I don't know which of the two most recent " acquisitions" in the STW are my favorites, the custom gun, or that Custom Sharpshooter. That Schneider barrel is one of the sweetest barrels I own. Very accurate, and cleans with two or three passes with a wet patch. And it shoot nearly anything that I stick in it's throat!!
Great story there my friend. Nice shooting!
P / S , 26 it is on the barrel length! Thanks .
PSS, read the WHOLE story again, and it gave me goosebumps. That's a badass Hombre there Bro'. No surprise though.
I thought I saw you mention it on the STW thread. Is your's the "Classic Laredo"? Those have a slightly heavier barrel don't they?

I've got a buddy that's a real collector of M-70's and he and I are planning several "Model 70 Only Hunts" over the next few years. He owns some just absolute works of art in his collection as well and has about 25 of them in just about every caliber they were ever produced in I think including some of the African monster killers.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Wild Rose, apparently, there were a couple of variations in the Custom Sharpshooter. I just saw one on GB that was listed as HS precision barreled. The stock on the one I saw is different from mine. When I first got mine, I did see one on GB that was identical to mine, and it was listing the Schneider barrel, and McMillan stock, as mine has. So maybe yours is HS. Who cares, those deer certainly don't care for it either way. Really love the story.
Yes there are several different versions out there including some tactical sniper variations.

It makes no difference to me really who made what, the sum of the parts is very near perfection in terms of function, I just like knowing what I have HA!