Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Weatherby...your feelings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby...your feelings

Redhead, I have replaced a couple of triggers in weatherby vanguards with the timney. About $100 and you can do it yourself not real hard.

Now for owning weatherbys I am not a fan for one reason and one reason only. Like mention by JE Custom a factory rifle to me is a donor action and only a donor action. To me there is nothing like having a rifle built to your specs the way you want. To spend the money on a weatherby you could have bought a custom action with all the bells and whistles. Same with Remington when you have them the way you want they cost almost as much as the Defiance I use from my gunsmith.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 10-19-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Gold Member

I have a Timney in a .375 Weatherby, much improvement set right under 3lbs crisp. I have had it on about 10 years put on by Timney, boy the prices have gone up! You wont regret it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Gold Member

Weatherby?? No! Too much 'Hollywoodish'! Show guns all!

Not as long as I can have this:

It's difficult enough to get TWO LOCKING LUGS to mesh right....much less the multiple lugs on the Weatherby!!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

I'm a fan. I like my Accumark 338-378. Great shooting rifle. Like someone else stated, I like the Mark V action and the short bolt throw on it. One thing I don't understand is why Weatherby makes their barrels with freebore in them, preventing reloaders from seating their bullets just off the rifling. I think this could help tighten groups in some instances.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardWay View Post
I'm a fan. I like my Accumark 338-378. Great shooting rifle. Like someone else stated, I like the Mark V action and the short bolt throw on it. One thing I don't understand is why Weatherby makes their barrels with freebore in them, preventing reloaders from seating their bullets just off the rifling. I think this could help tighten groups in some instances.
They FREEBORE their chambers to get that speed most youngsters think one must have!!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
Sounds like you have an AccuMark. Great rifle!
The gun has a "Mark V" stamp on it, and the seller indicated that it was an Accumark. I'm not sure of the difference or if they're the same. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it very much.

thanx!

Rhino Hunter
Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Hunter View Post
The gun has a "Mark V" stamp on it, and the seller indicated that it was an Accumark. I'm not sure of the difference or if they're the same. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it very much.

thanx!

Rhino Hunter

The AccuMarks have Mark5 actions with a stainless, fluted barrel, and a composite stock. Go on the Weatherby website & look at the specs. You have a generation 2 AccuMark. In my mind it's THE Weatherby for hunting. The fancy wood varieties are for showing off indoors. Yours will SHOOT and it will do so for more years than you are likely to be hunting. (Let me know when you want to sell it.)