Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Weatherby...your feelings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Weatherby...your feelings

My dad has a Weatherby MK5 in a 375 H&H Mag. That rifle is a solid Piece. He bought it to be an elk killer and that's exactly what it is. I've always heard good things about Weatherby's and from what I've seen with his I can understand why.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

My experience is severely limited to the one and only Weatherby that I've ever shot. It's a .257 Wby Mag Mark V w/ SS barrel with black flutes, camo composit stock, muzzle break w/ a Leupold VX-III 4-14 w a 30 mm tube. It has a great balance and feel to it and is one of the sexiest guns I've ever picked up. I shot it three times, using the owner's handloads, and put all three shots into one elongated hole at 100 yards (less than 1/4 MOA).

I then bought the gun on the spot.

My feelings...I love mine! So much that it's going with me to CO GMU #21 in four days.

Wish me luck!

Rhino Hunter
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Short bolt throw, tight lock up, factory accurate whats not to like; unless you are looking for lite weight then forget about it. Own two, for there intended use very happy with them, ergonimic, like the saftey. The calibers are classic and still hard to beat performance and effecientcy wise.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Has anyone purchased an after market trigger? I am seriously considering a Timmney replacement- $ 152 + gunsmithing. I shot a full compliment of Tubb bullets through my SS ultra lite. Shoots better, but still room for accracy. Over all , I love my ultra lite.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

I own a couple of them. I even have a couple Rems in weatherby calibers. Dang the make good guns. Only reason i sold the other ones i had is i didn't need 2 or 3 in the same caliber. I am a fan of Weatherbys. I am also a fan of Remingtons. Have a few Winchesters i like. One or two Browning i think alot of (after a trip to the gunsmith). I guess you could say i am a gun fan.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Hunter View Post
My experience is severely limited to the one and only Weatherby that I've ever shot. It's a .257 Wby Mag Mark V w/ SS barrel with black flutes, camo composit stock, muzzle break w/ a Leupold VX-III 4-14 w a 30 mm tube. It has a great balance and feel to it and is one of the sexiest guns I've ever picked up. I shot it three times, using the owner's handloads, and put all three shots into one elongated hole at 100 yards (less than 1/4 MOA).

I then bought the gun on the spot.

My feelings...I love mine! So much that it's going with me to CO GMU #21 in four days.

Wish me luck!

Rhino Hunter

Sounds like you have an AccuMark. Great rifle!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

I am both fan & foe.

I'm a fan of Weatherby rifles (especially the AccuMark) & cartridges for what they were made for long range hunting. They "reach out & touch something" as well as any factory rifle and better than most.

I also know what Weatherby rifles are not quick pointing brush guns or ultralight mountain guns.

Although I drooled over the beauty of a LaserMark in my youth I would never own the "pretty" Weatherbies as I'm a hunter, not a connoisseur looking for something to show off at a dinner party. I take care of firearms but I HUNT hard.

Years ago I had a chance to hunt north-central Florida with a friend who owned the most beautiful Mark-5 I've ever seen. He gave me rough directions as to where he was headed & we parted company. Four hours later I easily found him sitting up in his tree stand as light rain was falling. He asked how I found him so easily & I pointed out how he was sitting in his stand wiping the moisture off his gorgeous rifle with a silicone rag. I smelled the silicone rag 300 yards downwind! For me a hunting rifle is something you hunt with & take care of later.

I have seen some of the older light-barrelled Weatherbies that didn't shoot well. One produced 2.5"+ groups at 100 yards! (I didn't get to see if I could make it shoot better.) While this may be good for a Winchester lever-action 30-30, it's not acceptable for long-range hunting. I've never seen one of the modern Weatherbies that didn't shoot well & I've never seen an AccuMark that didn't shoot VERY well. Putting this in perspective, I've also seen too many Win Model 70 & Remington Model 700 rifles that wouldn't hold a group until they had been "worked on".