Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Weatherby...your feelings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Bronze Member

Weatherby...your feelings

Hello all,

I am an owner of a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY. The rifle shoots awesome and I would like to say I'm a proud owner. After conducting some general research and participating in discussions I have found you either love or hate Weatherby's. So I would like to know why or why not you are a fan.

Thanks again
Flametop7
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby...your feelings

Based on the several in my gun cabinet, list me as a fan.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

I own 2 300's in Mark 5 ? The ultra lite I love , the ultimate varmint rifle. Standard's a bit heavy. They get my vote.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I have one in my cabinet, its a 338-378, just now building loads for it but I have to say LOVE the weatherby action, I really like that short throw on the bolt :-)
Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

You're right. You either love them or hate them.

For me, I hate them. I have owned 2. I should have learned the first time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Yes I was dumb enough to buy a second one.

Around my house, if something isnt usefull, it gets sold. I wasted a 2 whole springs and 2 whole summers (different years of course) trying to get them to shoot well. 2 of the most expensive factory rifles and neither of them ever made it to the field. I didnt dare leave success in the hands of a rifle that I had absolutely NO confidence in. They sure were pretty though.

Every time I sold one I bought a remmy 700 and had them dialed in with less than a day's effort.

Who knows, maybe I dont hold them right or something. Whatever the reason, I wont be wasting my money or time on another one. To be fair, I typically wont waste my time or money on any factory rifle anymore. Custom for this game is the ticket.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Are you refering to the Cartrige, or the rifle or both?
I own a Winchester Model-70 chambered in 300Weatherby.
I love my Winnies, and I love what the 300Wby is capable of, but Im still plodding along with my 24 inch barrel. I gotta say a 24inch barrel was a big mistake by Winchester especially in this case. I will never attain the Weatherby speeds no matter how hard I try.
I hope to have it re barreled in a 300 Rum for my allround, near or far rifle, or 338 Rum, or edge if Im feeling frisky, for my long range work, after I shoot out this barrel, and have the money to do it. But Ill pass on the 340wby cartrige. Just a personal preferance thing.
As for thier rifles, Mark 5, and Accumark, I love the ones Ive shot, They come up nice, balance well, and have a good feel, and theyre about as sexy as a rifle gets, but they do cost a bunch.
Few Vanguards have the sex appeal, of its siblings, but theyre a solid buildable action. Howa/Vanguard has produced some fine rifles.

Like all "factory" rifles there is always gonna be a few bad with the good, but thats with any manufacturer of factory firearms. Overall I like them, but the ones I realy like are out of my pricerange for what I get.
I dont know what to say to Michael Eichele. Thats truly a horrible experience. I belive Id be soured as well if I had that experience......twice......in a row....Wow.

I agree for the price range your starting into, a custom is a better choice, but I havent had his experiences with any Weatherby Ive ever used. Overall I like them, theyre just too rich (mk-5 & Acumrk) for my blood when there are other quality factory options for less money, around the Vanguard +or- price range.
In this day and age, we rarely leave a factory rifle factory anymore anyway, so I think Id go with the Vanguard and build it as I wished, or, like usual, choose my personal favorite that fills my gun cabnet. But If I had the money, and wanted a quality rifle with some serious sex appeal, Id be very tempted by the Mark-5, or Accumark.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flametop7 View Post
Hello all,

I am an owner of a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY. The rifle shoots awesome and I would like to say I'm a proud owner. After conducting some general research and participating in discussions I have found you either love or hate Weatherby's. So I would like to know why or why not you are a fan.

Thanks again
Flametop7
Weatherbys have allways been marketed as a hunting rifle until recently so most of the
earlier rifles had very light barrels and this was most of the problem when it came to shooting
groups. Weatherby was interested in first shot repeatability not 3 or 5 shot groups.

Light barrels can give you lots of problems when trying to get groups. so when Weatherby
decided to increase the barrel size to a #4 or larger (They were normally #2s) accuracy was
the by product.

The Weatherby actions have always been one of the best factory actions produced and still
is and they make great donors if you can find one at a reasonable price.

The barrel quality is the problem with all factory rifles and sometime you buy one that is trash
and other times you may find a 1/4 MOA barrel.

I have seen good and bad actions in all makes but I have never seen a bad Weatherby MK5
action.

So I am one that loves them because of there track record.

J E CUSTOM