Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Weatherby vanguard submoa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 02:51 AM
Bronze Member

Weatherby vanguard submoa

I bought a vanguard submoa in 7 rem. magn. It shoot almost good, but not so good as I would. I have seen, moreover, that it prefer a long bullet as the sierra Mking 168 grains, that, I think, is a very heavvy bullet for a 7mm caliber an it shoot non very fine my preferred nosler Btip 150 grn.
I am returned last sunday from southafrica where I hunted antilopes and bluewildebeest ( a Gnu ). I have seen that my southafrican friend shoot with a 7 remington a long bullet made in Sothafrica by http://www.gscustom.co.za./ in 130 grains all copper made.
I would know wath you think about this rifle and its load and if is possible made it more accurate ( with the rifle there is a paper from Weatherby that say about this " if you ruin the stock for made the rifle more accurate we may not rebedding it ) .

Lorenzo
Old 05-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby vanguard submoa

i thought weatherby sent a group with the load it will shoot 1 moa. all the 7mm mags i have or had do real well with reloads with H-4831(long cut). i use nosler brass. if you don't reload maybe you could try the hornady 154 grain factory load or some other factory loadings.. roninflag
Old 05-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Be careful what you do to the rifle. Alterations may void the warranty. Some warranties are voided by shooting handloads. I would read the fine print on the warranty and act accordingly. If there was a test target, see what ammunition they used. Are you sure the scope is OK? Perhaps you could put a proven scope on the rifle and see what that does. My Vanguard came with a test target showing the ammunition and bullet weight used. If your rifle likes longer bullets, you could try some ammunition with the Barnes TSX bullet. It is copper and long for its weight.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Weatherby state's you have to use specific weatherby ammo or factory premium ammo for all there rifle's including there sub moa. and just like littleabner said handload's will void alot a warranty's
DB
Old 05-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Bronze Member

ok Roninflag. I reload, but I have not found at all a reload with a bullet of about 150 grains that make a good group.
With the rifle there is a target with three holes of a litte bit less than one moa, but there is write nothing about the charge or the bullet.
I have seen, and it seem unusual for mr that the barrel is not floating and is voluntarily in contact with the stock..
Old 05-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

Pheraps you are right.
Pheraps is the springfield armory scope that may be not so good as I think. As I would like, is more correct. My two S.A. scope are.. i do not know as they are, but not so good as they ( at Springfield ) say..
Next week I am waiting for a Nigtforce NSX one and I try with it..