Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Re: weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

I think I'll check out youtube first and save myself some money. Thank you for the advice. With all the input on Timney, it's going on the Savage.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

I bought regular Vanguard before the S2 came out, put a timney trigger and a B&C medalist on it, and couldnt be happier.

SCI Member
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I have been able to easily adjust the triggers for 4 Howa style rifles to a crisp 1.5 lbs give or take a couple of oz. There are tutorials on the net and youtube. Very easy to with a lot of the triggers, however, some need a little filing and polishing. In those case I would recommend a Timney 3 position safety trigger which are available at Midway for a little over $100. Another good investment.
The Timney is a very nice trigger, especially if you want a 3 position safety.

With the factory Vanguard trigger I use some Flitz metal polish and my Dremel tool with a buffing wheel on the trigger and sear surfaces. I shine up the surfaces and in doing so can get the trigger creep free and the pull weight comes down nicely. I do not personally use a stone or file because I don't want to go through the MIM surface. So far I've only had 2 Vanguard triggers that did not significantly improve with this work.

There is a great thread on the Gunsmithing forum here:
Howa Trigger adjustment How to.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued View Post

shot this today at 735 yards with my S2 vanguard 257 wby using 110g accubonds on top of 73gr of h1000 at a 3.300 col lit with fed 215s. factory gun with a stockys thumbhole stock and a pst.
Thanks for the input. I also shoot 110gr AccuBonds for my AccuMark .257 Wby. I can't remember my exact load concoction, but Im using 110gr AccuBonds, RL-22, and Fed 215 primers. I still haven't gone and tested my load yet, but once I get it's preferences figured out, I'll finish loading up my brass I have sitting around. I have a whole bunch of factory loaded Weatherby 110gr AccuBond ammo laying in the safe, so basically all I need it for is the brass.

Do you have any pics of your S2?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

took this pic of it this evening sorry it isnt a good pic but you get the idea anyways

Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Thanks a lot! I wanted to see one with the stock. That's the way I am going to go with my Vanguard.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Shot my .257 Weatherby Inc. Vanguard series 2 at 960 yards today. These were the first 3 shots ever at this distance with this rifle. Load consisted of 110g Nosler accubonds over 73g of H1000. Applied Ballistics LLC android app was used to get the firing solution of U22 moa and R4.5 moa for the 6 mph wind and was dialed into a Vortex Optics viper pst 6-24x50 ebr-1 moa scope. The only modification to the rifle is a Stocky's Stocks (www.NewRifleStocks.com) long range sporter thumbhole stock.

Im not real sure what happened on that lowest one.