Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willg View Post
I have a Series 1 that's about years old. How does the S1 compare to the S2? Thought about trading or selling the S1 but doesn't have much value. Thinking of putting on a different stock. Any suggestions with an S1?
The Howa/Vanguard is a great platform. What cal and how well does your original Vanguard shoot? B&C offers a full aluminum bedding block Medalist stock for the Vanguards. They list for about $253 on Stockys

Bell & Carlson Medalist

A great investment

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Mine is in a 7mm Rem mag. I just don't like the balance, when I compare it to the Savage rifles I have. I noticed that after the first shot. If it's on a bench rest, no problem. It shoots lights out. I just want it to feel balanced and not wobble when I try to fire it long range without a rest. Thanks for that advice. I just see so many good and bad reviews on any stock I see.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

That's interesting. I have a S&W M1500 (same thing as the Vanguard) which is also 7mm RM and I put it in one of the B&C stocks. I thought it balanced very well offhand in both its original stock and the B&C. It's also a tack driver.

Haven't handled any Savages yet except a heavy barrel Varmint in 223. Nice rifle and thinking about getting it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

shot this today at 735 yards with my S2 vanguard 257 wby using 110g accubonds on top of 73gr of h1000 at a 3.300 col lit with fed 215s. factory gun with a stockys thumbhole stock and a pst.
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM

I'd love to shoot a Vanguard S2. I went to Gander with the S1 and was told it was worth about $150. I know that's whole sale, but.... Can't part with it for that. It's in excellent condition. I figured that because I saw Cabelas had S1s on clearance for $349. Looks like I'll have a trigger job and new stock and go from there. Thanks for the input, and I'll certainly check out Stocky and the B&C Medalist; even the ones with thumb holes.

What scope do you use to shoot 700+ yard shots?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

vortex viper pst ebr1 moa 6-24x50. you can see how small that red dot is and i dont have any problem putting the retical on it with how thin it is on the pst.

i also have a vanguard S1 that is several years old in 7mm rem mag and it shoots just as good as this S2 plus you can get a timney trigger for the S1 and not for the S2
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willg View Post
I'd love to shoot a Vanguard S2. I went to Gander with the S1 and was told it was worth about $150. I know that's whole sale, but.... Can't part with it for that. It's in excellent condition. I figured that because I saw Cabelas had S1s on clearance for $349. Looks like I'll have a trigger job and new stock and go from there. Thanks for the input, and I'll certainly check out Stocky and the B&C Medalist; even the ones with thumb holes.

What scope do you use to shoot 700+ yard shots?
I have been able to easily adjust the triggers for 4 Howa style rifles to a crisp 1.5 lbs give or take a couple of oz. There are tutorials on the net and youtube. Very easy to with a lot of the triggers, however, some need a little filing and polishing. In those case I would recommend a Timney 3 position safety trigger which are available at Midway for a little over $100. Another good investment.

~ John Quincy Adams