Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

hope I get it before I go back to work next week. will be 5 or 6 days before it even ships. Still need a scope too.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

I just bought a Whetherby Vanguard Series 2 chambered in 270 Win. It is not a range certified one however.

I mounted a scope and took it to the range yesterday and zeroed the scope and shot some loads to see how it shot. First I loaded some Hornaday 130 Sp's with IMR-4831 powder. I stared low and was going to work up as I zeroed the scope. I bore sighted the scope and sent one down range at 50 yards. The first shot was high and left, after some adjusting to the scope I sent the second shot down range and found that I was still just a little high and left. After some more adjustment I fired a third shot and hit the orange dot that I was using as a target. I still was a little left but I wanted to see how the gun shot with the load so I fired two more rounds without moving the scope. Well to say the least I was very pleased with this load and the Vanguard. My three shots at 50 yards were measured at .20 inches.. I know this was only 50 yards but this rifle showed great promises. My other loads did not shoot as well, but I was able to put three shots of Remington factory ammo into one inch at 100 yards.

I have loaded some more 130 Hornady SP's with IMR-4831 and I am ready to take them to the range and see if this gun shoots them in less that 1/2 inch which I think this gun is capable of.

So from my limited experience I think you should be well pleased with a Weatherby Vanguard.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

awesome cant wait, will post up a report soon.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike 2121 View Post
Well I ordered one in 308 tonite. we shall see what it will do.
I think you'll be happy, keep us posted

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM

I have a Series 1 that's about years old. How does the S1 compare to the S2? Thought about trading or selling the S1 but doesn't have much value. Thinking of putting on a different stock. Any suggestions with an S1?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

I love Remington 700's.....But I also love my Weatherby Mark V's....

I have 1 Weatherby, and it's a Mark V AccuMark .257 Wby Mag, and that is one tack-driving SOB. I want to get an identical AccuMark, but in a .30-378 Wby Mag w/ and AccuBreak on it. I don't know why....I just want one.

I have been interested in trying out the new Vanguard Series 2 Deluxe in .257 Wby, since I have been wanting a Mark V Deluxe .257 for quite some time, but funds have not been kind lately to drop $2K on a rifle and another $1-2K on glass.

So, if anyone has shot a Vanguard Series 2 Deluxe in .257 Wby Mag, please let me know how you liked it, how well it shot, pics of groupings would be nice, etc, since they are 1/2 the price of a Mark V Deluxe, and being that it's lighter than my AccuMark, and alot cheaper, I wouldn't mind beating it around in the brush quite so badly. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willg View Post
I have a Series 1 that's about years old. How does the S1 compare to the S2? Thought about trading or selling the S1 but doesn't have much value. Thinking of putting on a different stock. Any suggestions with an S1?
I sold my vangaurd a few months ago and got 320 out of it so you may be suprised how much you could get. For paying 399 when I got it sure did hold it's value.
Any stock that lets you free float the barrel on it should show some improvements, that was the one thing I never liked about it. Mine shot great the way I had it so I never experimented with stocks but I did have the trigger cleaned up and made lighter, really didn't make as noticable difference as I was hoping though.