Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

Hey guys, anybody have one of these or shoot one? varmint model is available near me and thinking about giving it a go. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

Really people? Really? close to 70 people read my post......and nobody has ANYTHING to say good or bad?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Its a newer model and it hasnt got very much popularity yet. I dont know if it will. Guys on this forum live and die by the remingtons, winchesters, and savages (or completely custom action). Every now and then you will see some weatherby products on here...but I am sure of the 70 people that has read your post, none of them have tried the product because SOMEONE would have said something. I have always been a fan of weatherby but I can not stand their safeties and their creeeepppy triggers. That is about all I can say. Sorry it wasnt helpful
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure how you can't like a Vanguard safety if you like a Remington, Savage or some of the others. The triggers are easily tweaked, though that is not a problem on the S2.

The good? Vanguards generally have very smooth actions and are quite accurate. I own a couple and really like them.

The bad? The RC version is an expensive way to get a B&C stock on a Vanguard. Only you can determine if it's worth it to you to have Weatherby install the stock and test it for you.

That's the short version.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Yea the rems, savages and customs....and HIGH dollar scopes rule the roost here. I thought I read somewhere that this model has been out since 2011. Maybe im wrong. Nothing against the usual suspects, just found the weatherby and it interested me. Maybe i'll be the guinea pig!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

If you can get it for the cost of a regular Vanguard + B&C stock then I think you'll do well. The more I use my Vanguards the more I like them.

It's not that the Vanguard RC is a bad rifle - far from it. It's just not a big seller anywhere given its price and the "sub moa" guarantee of the regular S2 Vanguard.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

I checked out your OP a little earlier but didn't respond since I don't have a "Range Certified" Vanguard. Actually, the Vanguards and Howa's are fairly popular on this site and IMO are very good platform for an LR build. I'm having 2 done right now. I'm also getting a build on a 700 action as well and I like the Howa/Vanguard actions much better.

A year or 2 ago, Weatherby had the regular Vanguards and the Sub MOA Vanguards. The differences were the reg had a plastic stock and no factory fired target and was "guaranteed" to fire 1 1/2 MOA or less. The Sub MOA had a much better B&C pillar bedded stock and came with a factory fired target. I have one in 300 WBY with a target group that measures .4"

Now, it appears that WBY has morphed the reg and Sub MOA Vanguards into one Series 2 Model with a plastic stock and no target, but "guaranteeing" Sub MOA accuracy. And have also come out with the "Range Certified" rifle with a good stock and factory shot target for about $1000 more than the previous Sub MOA model.

If you are looking for a good Varmint rifle, you look at a Savage. I've got my eye on a 223 that will probably shoot every bit as well if not better than the Range Certified rifle for about 1/3 the cost. The Vanguard is a great rifle, but I think WBY is asking too much for the RC line.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams