Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby and swarovski

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Re: weatherby and swarovski

i live next to orfino ID and would like to buy local with the nightforce but from what i have seen the swarovski just seems more idiot friendly their new ballistic turret seems amazing and on an already heavy rifle the lighter weight also seems nice what do you guys think
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I just can't imagine myself wanting to practice much with a big cartridge like that without a good muzzle break. Even if your shoulder doesn't hurt, your pocket book might.

-- richard
FYI, Weatherby only sells this caliber with a muzzle brake.
Obviously you can build your own without one, but...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahohunter3 View Post
i live next to orfino ID and would like to buy local with the nightforce but from what i have seen the swarovski just seems more idiot friendly their new ballistic turret seems amazing and on an already heavy rifle the lighter weight also seems nice what do you guys think

Brakes are notoriously hard on scopes as are big magnums guns. I would get the toughest scope available and out of those 2 it would be the NF for me every time.

NF has a nice ballistic reticle if that is up your alley that would be real nice for a flat shooter like the 338-378. You may want to give that a try.

Ballistic turrets aren't all bad but you do have to make sure you are shooting in similar conditions to your site in area or you will need multiple turrets.

Scot E.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I agree with Scott E about ballistic turrets. Plan on buying several, but only after you've selected ammo and measured bullet drop at long range.

I don't agree with him about Swarovski scopes having mechanical problems. Not that he and his sources are wrong, but that it's a small data set. A much larger data set says that Swarovski scopes are reliable. You need to look at all the data.

I also believe your mag range is too high. 15X is sufficient for big game out to 1,000 yds. Your application begs for a 6:1 mag ratio. I would drop down to Z6 2.5-15x56 or 3-18x50. Glare performance will be better.

FYI. I've shot a 340 Wby from a prone position - without a brake. Even with an extra shoulder pad and shooting jacket, I was done after 20 shots.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post

I don't agree with him about Swarovski scopes having mechanical problems. Not that he and his sources are wrong, but that it's a small data set. A much larger data set says that Swarovski scopes are reliable. You need to look at all the data.
Bruce,

What you mention is correct. My experience and others is a fairly small group of guys in relation to the shooting world so that needs to be taken into consideration. Having said that we were involved in a very demanding shooting discipline that was extremely tough on scopes on Swaro's were not at the top by a decent margin. There are some legitimate scope reviewers, I am just an end user with a strong opinion , that have said some similar things though. I have some articles saved from over the years somewhere. If I can find them I will post them.

Just curious though, you mention that Swaro's are considered reliable in the larger data set. Do you really think that they are as durable and repeatable as NF or even S&B for that matter. That would surprise me. I just don't know of many military folks, or competition shooters that run them.

Scot E.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

If weight is an issue then use the Swarovski or a March. If weight is NOT an issue then a NF is a great scope. The 3X18 on the Z6 would be a good compromise on the magnification. Bruce
Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E
... we were involved in a very demanding shooting discipline that was extremely tough on scopes on Swaro's were not at the top by a decent margin....
Something tells me you're applying a very high standard to a consumer product. It would not surprise or bother me to learn that under extremely harsh use, a Swaro broke before a NF did.

NF scopes may survive longer simply because they're heavier. Did your buddies add another pound of weight to their rifles when they tested the Swaros?

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent