Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Varberger- the 7mm factory ammo is expensive he would probably have to go through a bunch to find a good load , tough with a magnum without a brake.
Ok, I agree with you in the case of ammo prices and/or finding a good load. Also about regular training with a highpowered 7 Wby without a brake. Both might hurt...;-) I was just wondering how someone could think about trading a new highend product like the Wby Mk V for something like a Rem SPS (BTW,a decent low budget . That's still over my horizon. [/QUOTE]

Yep . and if he is going to shoot targets he should get a target rifle. at least a 5-r equivalent.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
Deener - where are you ? i would just buy ammo and shoot his .308. Mud - i do not agree that the mark V is a .5 inch gun. especially with out handloads . the 300 weatherby mark v i shot barely did 2"
My AccuMark shot sub-MOA with factory loaded Weatherby brand 110 NAB's...

He asked COULD it be a 1/2 MOA gun. I said that it could be. Bed the action and lug, float the barrel, and it should be a sub-MOA shooter, even with factory ammo. I don't know about 1/2 MOA, but you might squeeze a few groups out of it that are that tight.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Yep . and if he is going to shoot targets he should get a target rifle. at least a 5-r equivalent.[/QUOTE]

I agree to 100%
In my opinion, the thread is starting to get a little bit ridiculous. We’re going to make or try to make a (unfair) comparison between two almost different products. That’s caused by Deener’s economical objections… On one side the high-end product with an equivalent reputation, and on the other a decent gun but still low budget. As we all know and have written will it be no problem at all getting the Wby filling the “gap”. Little stock work (if necessary/ I doubt it) and muzzle break. Great deal? No! Costs are reasonable, and all of us (almost) would purchase the Wby for the purpose of LRH without hesitating.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Deener- you need to get what you want. you stated you wanted to "push your limits". having shot good target rifles, me and other will try to get you to spend more and reload . given your budget and objectives a 700 heavy barrel is a place to start. Mud - a 500$ remington does not compare very equally to an accumark . a 5-r yes. sendero yes. even the Mark v sporter he has is less and made different than an accumark. his budget is already tight so making the sporter more like an accumark is probably not in the cards.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
Deener- you need to get what you want. you stated you wanted to "push your limits". having shot good target rifles, me and other will try to get you to spend more and reload . given your budget and objectives a 700 heavy barrel is a place to start. Mud - a 500$ remington does not compare very equally to an accumark . a 5-r yes. sendero yes. even the Mark v sporter he has is less and made different than an accumark. his budget is already tight so making the sporter more like an accumark is probably not in the cards.
He could probably have Weatherby rebarrel it with an Accumark barrel for $350-400...And you can buy the B&C Accumark stock from Stockey's for around $285.

If you had a used Mark V you had not much money invested in, you could easilly make it an Accumark for under $750.

That would only be slightly more than his SPS Tactical would cost him, and it would be a LRH magnum for hunting and shooting.

In the end, it is the OP's decision....I just hate to see a Mark V 7mm Wby go out like a chump.

How much is the local GS owner offering you trade-in for your Mark V 7mm Wby? I might be interested in buying it for that amount, if my local FFL will accepts transfers from individuals.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Mud- taking his 700-800$ rifle and add 750$ of add -ons i bet it will shoot darn good . if i take a rem 700 (350$) add a barrel 450$ and a stock (199$) it will choot too. doubting his budget is going to allow it.