Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

Deener - where are you ? i would just buy ammo and shoot his .308. Mud - i do not agree that the mark V is a .5 inch gun. especially with out handloads . the 300 weatherby mark v i shot barely did 2"
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Seems like keeping the weatherby should be an easy decision. I can get a lee reloading kit and scheels for $110 or a hornady for $300. I no that the Remington is a great platform for benchrest shooting and great accuracy if I ever got to that point. And I no that magnum barrels get shot out a lot faster then a non magnum cartridge. Sorry this is such a hard decision for me. I love this weatherby but Remington 700s havnt become the most popular bolt gun for no reason and a gun that many military snipers use/used
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM

And I'm located in north Dakota and from what iv ready most people cannot get a weatherby to shot much less then 1.5" moa
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deener99 View Post
Seems like keeping the weatherby should be an easy decision. I can get a lee reloading kit and scheels for $110 or a hornady for $300. I no that the Remington is a great platform for benchrest shooting and great accuracy if I ever got to that point. And I no that magnum barrels get shot out a lot faster then a non magnum cartridge. Sorry this is such a hard decision for me. I love this weatherby but Remington 700s havnt become the most popular bolt gun for no reason and a gun that many military snipers use/used
Remington's are good guns but your friends SPS that is a tac driver...I doubt it is a tac driver with ALL loads. Hardly any rifles shoot all loads well. So make sure your friend isnt reloading and then confirm which factory ammo he is shooting and stick with ONLY that. My remington mountain shoots .5-.75 MOA with remington core lok 165 grains BUT it was only able to shoot 1.5MOA with NOSLER PREMIUM accubonds which were 46 bucks a box compared to the coreloks which were 28 bucks a box. This was before i started reloading. You will hardly ever find a gun that will shoot 1/2 MOA with factory loads...just saying...if you are going to shoot 800 yards you really need to start thinking about reloading unless you dont care to much about accuracy. For example... 1.5MOA would give you a 12 inch group at 800 yards, this is quite large...this is of course not including some shooter error, so more likely you will shoot like 15 inch groups or greater.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:19 AM

I am not sure what factory loads he uses and I no for sure he doesn't hand load because we have talked about getting a kit together and splitting cost. And I no that his gun doesmt shoot amazing with all loads. Now accuracy does matter to me and I will start reloading one day. So for now I believe that the Remington will shoot more accurate with factory loads and it will be cheaper to shoot. I'm good friends with the local gun shop guy and he shoots f class in competition so maybe he will be up for a little test to see what gun is more accurate haha
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Everyone stating weatherby's cant shoot under 1.5MOA with factory loads must not have done much shooting. I am by no means an experienced pro but I have seen many vanguards, let alone mark Vs shoot right around 1MOA or a bit better with certain factory loads.

To the original poster...YES there are cheaper and more types 308 Factory loads making it EASIER to find a better shooting factory load in a particular gun, HOWEVER, if this is your friend you are trading with and not a gun shop...you are getting ripped off unless he is throwing something else in with the deal. A Remington SPS tactical goes for like 650 new...your Mark V goes for like 800 USED for a basic mark V...even more if it is a higher end mark 5.
SELL your Mark V and buy a NEW SPS and pocket the difference in cash.

OR Better yet...sell your MARK V and with the cash you might be able to afford a brand new Remington Sendero in 300 WIN MAG which also has readily available ammo and will be an AWESOME long range gun... lots of guys on here buy the senderos. They are great rifles.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM

I would be trading with the local gunshop which is where I bought the mark v for 600 new. I would be trading for a sps varmint stainless brand new with a rail on it not my buddies tactical sorry for the mix up