Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 PM

weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

Hey guys I'm new to the thread, but I have read a few discussions on this webpage. Here is what I have going on. I currently have a mark v in 7mm weatherby mag. Composite stock and 26" barrel. I love this gun and I picked it up new for 600. I just cannot afford to keep shooting it and I do not reload. Now I can trade this gun for a sps ss in 308. Much more affordable to shoot and I shoot as much as possible. The gun would be mostly for target shooting out to 800 yards. So far iv only shot up to 500 but I want to push my limits. Do u guys think I should trade? The Remington is brand new. I want the best accuracy possible. I want it straight up which will shoot more accurately. It's only between these two gums because the local gun shop just got the 700 in. Any help is much appreciated
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Re: weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by deener99 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the thread, but I have read a few discussions on this webpage. Here is what I have going on. I currently have a mark v in 7mm weatherby mag. Composite stock and 26" barrel. I love this gun and I picked it up new for 600. I just cannot afford to keep shooting it and I do not reload. Now I can trade this gun for a sps ss in 308. Much more affordable to shoot and I shoot as much as possible. The gun would be mostly for target shooting out to 800 yards. So far iv only shot up to 500 but I want to push my limits. Do u guys think I should trade? The Remington is brand new. I want the best accuracy possible. I want it straight up which will shoot more accurately. It's only between these two gums because the local gun shop just got the 700 in. Any help is much appreciated

Do you not reload because you CAN'T? (maybe due to where you live or something) or just because you havent learned how, or afraid of costs? In all honesty, I was in your situation a few months back. Reloading is your best bet when it comes to accuracy and long distance shots...especially out to 800 yards. If you were staying under 500, id say go for it...any gun shooting 1.5 MOA or less can be fun out to 500 yards but beyond that and things start to get funny. You really want a gun shooting less than 1MOA for that long of a shot (800 yards). Finding a factory load in a mid level rifle that will consistantly shoot under 1 MOA is a gamble. Some guns will be fine while others may be super picky (like my browning x-bolt) which I spent 250 dollars on AMMO alone to find out that it likes the federal fusion 165 grains the best.

You can get into reloading for 500 bucks, especially if you look into the used market. I got a whole set-up for 300 bucks, minus the case tumbler which is 60 bucks and calipers which were 35 bucks. Reloading, at first, can seem really complex, but it really is not and then you get very accurate loads at half the cost of factory ammo. Also, if you do shoot a lot it is a no brainer, it will definitely end up being cheaper for you.

ANYWAYS, as far as the two rifles you are talking about...the MARK V is the better rifle but yes you are shooting expensive ammo compared to the 308 especially since you could buy military grade 308 ammo at cheap prices, but DO NOT forget that military grade ammo MAY shoot like crap out of that particular rifle and you may not be able to shoot it out to 800 yards. If you do get the remington...id definitely save up for a new stock OR at the very least have the stock bedded as the SPS stocks arent the worst but definitely are on the flimsy side of things and can affect accuracy.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deener99 View Post
Have you been saving your 7mm Wby brass? If so, would you be interested in sending them my way?

Also, you got a smokin deal on that Mark V for $600.....I'd set it aside in the safe for now, till you start reloading, and go buy the Remington 700 in .308 so you have something to shoot in the meantime that is cheap. Save the Weatherby for hunting where you only shoot it a couple times a year.

I wouldn't trade one in for another. They can both serve a good purpose. I would keep the Weatherby for hunting, and buy the .308 for shooting.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Trading a Weatherby Mark V for a Rem SPS seems to me like trading a Porsche for a Toyota Corolla.

If you’d like to use the Rem SPS for LRH it needs a tune up for sure at least both stock and trigger. For the money, you may buy many 7mm Wby rounds and can keep the better gun.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

just buy a remington 700 varmint to shoot targets from dicks. 499 w scope. for target weight is an advantage.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM

I appreciate the responses guys. Now obviously the weatherby is worth way more then the Remington. I do not reload because I don't have the extra funds to buy a kit yet. Yes I have saved the brass and so far that's only one box. Iv only broke in the barrel barely. If I could have both guns obviously I would but with money right now that just won't happen. My buddy has a sps tactical and that thing is a tack driver all day. So as the money I'm looking for the cheaper shoot which I think is obviously the Remington just due to ammo cost. Last question is the weatherby capable of .5 moa at a 100 yards consistently like a lot of remingtons can do? Given a new stock would have to be put on but that would be down the road
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, the Weatherby is capable of 1/2" @ 100 yards (1/2 MOA). You do realize that it would be fairly inexpensive to buy an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit and 1 set of dies...

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

RCBS 2-Die Set 7mm Weatherby Mag

RCBS Shellholder #4 (7mm Remington Mag 300 Winchester Mag 338

It will be MUCH cheaper than buying a whole new rifle setup. And you'll get more satisfaction and save more money.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.