Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 300WBY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 300WBY

I have a markV deluxe in 300WBY that I have had a little over 10 years. I bought it well before I started loading and got into the long range stuff. I don't even think I have 2 boxes of factory weatherby ammo out of it and it shoots right around 1". Anyways I was gonna sell it but instead I am now thinking I should start to load for it and see if I can get more out of it. I have no experience with the 300WBY or loading for any weatherby's for that matter. does anyone have a pet load for them or some suggestion on where to start???
Old 10-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 300WBY

I load for a buddy of mine's Vanguard .300 Wby Mag, but he hasn't tested out any of the handloads to find which one hits the sweet-spot yet....Kinda pisses me off, I went through the effort.

Anyway, but what I suggest is picking the brand of bullets you choose to shoot out of it, and purchasing their reloading manual. Then go by what they say.

When it comes to reloading, no 2 rifles will be the same. Sure, some may share the same loads equally, but the odds of it are not great enough to give someone a "solid load" to load up and shoot 1 ragged hole groups. Luck could very well have it that way, but the odds are stacked against it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

I would look at Retumbo and 230 Hybrids... maybe RL33 also but it might be a little too slow.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Bronze Member

H1000 and 180 gr bullet are good combo in my rifle and many others

Good luck