Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Weatherby Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 AM

Weatherby Actions

Hi All,

New to the forum, and thought I would ask a question.

Does anybody know of any 'smiths that will do a custom build using a Weatherby Mark V action? Will they blue print the action and true everything up? I've heard that the Mark V action can be really difficult to do this to and that is why not many poeple use them for accurate custom builds. Never been a real fan of the remy actions because of the bolt throw and I've shot Weatherby's for years and years and its what I am used to...freebore and all. I would be open to another custom action type as long at it doesn't have more then a 60 degree throw.

I'm looking at building up a lightweight mountain rifle for backpack sheep hunting and cross canyon shots. Not too interesting in lugging a 14 lb rifle around given the way I hunt and the type of country. I was thinking of something of the lines of 300 wby or maybe a 30-378 wby with a ABS carbon barrel to reduce weight. Maybe you guys have another opinion of flat shooting calibers as well? The problem is that I have the urge to build something up, but don't really know what I want other then a lighweight backpack mountain rifle. Maybe I should just keep it easy and go with the 300 wby utralightweight......

What is the concensus?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Actions

You must already have the Weatherby action ?
Broz on this site had a 338 EDGE built on a Weatherby action, I think. Might want to send him a PM and ask what smith he used.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
You must already have the Weatherby action ?
Broz on this site had a 338 EDGE built on a Weatherby action, I think. Might want to send him a PM and ask what smith he used.
Correct, accept it is a .338 Lapua. The rifle still shoots very well and has 700 rounds through it. This one was built by "Long Shot Precision" "Joe Starnes".

I have had two rifles built since by a Smith from the Great Falls Mt. area, Dave Young " Youngs Gun Smithing" . One is a 6br on a Weatherby Vanguard action and it shoots lights out. The other is a Custon Defiance action. The smith that did the last two loves the Weatherby mark V actions and has built some AWESOME V-block full floated rifles with 34" tubes off the Weatherby 378 case.

I have tons of respect for the Weatherby Mark V action. It is tough as they come, cycles smooth and I have found the accuracy to be great.

I would definatly give Dave Young a call. He will lend a ton of Weatherby Mark V knowledge toward your project.

Jeff

Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

I know you'd chime in and glad to know things are working out with Dave.
It's always nice to have access to 3 excellent gunsmiths in an hours drive.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Ed you are correct. Along with many other things Montana houses some excellent Long Range gunsmiths. Everytime I look out the window I am gald I own some good long range rifles and it is no wonder why some of the best builder are here.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaIsGodsCountry View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum, and thought I would ask a question.

Does anybody know of any 'smiths that will do a custom build using a Weatherby Mark V action? Will they blue print the action and true everything up? I've heard that the Mark V action can be really difficult to do this to and that is why not many poeple use them for accurate custom builds. Never been a real fan of the remy actions because of the bolt throw and I've shot Weatherby's for years and years and its what I am used to...freebore and all. I would be open to another custom action type as long at it doesn't have more then a 60 degree throw.

I'm looking at building up a lightweight mountain rifle for backpack sheep hunting and cross canyon shots. Not too interesting in lugging a 14 lb rifle around given the way I hunt and the type of country. I was thinking of something of the lines of 300 wby or maybe a 30-378 wby with a ABS carbon barrel to reduce weight. Maybe you guys have another opinion of flat shooting calibers as well? The problem is that I have the urge to build something up, but don't really know what I want other then a lighweight backpack mountain rifle. Maybe I should just keep it easy and go with the 300 wby utralightweight......

What is the concensus?
I think the Mark V is a great action to build a custom rifle !!!!!

It is not diffacult to build on and the action is very strong and smooth operating.

One advantage to the MK 5 is that the magazine is approximately .140 thousandths longer
than most actions which allows you to seat the bullets longer and still fit in the mag.

There are lots of big 30,s to chose from and the 30/378 would be a good choice, also the
RUM or the 30/338 Lapua imp. is an excellent performer.

I have built lots of rifles on the mark V and have been very pleased with them.

There are lots of good smiths close to you and you should have no problem finding
a good one on this site that will help you out.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

Are the magazines all the same length in the WBY magnum actions?

I have a 300Wby Accumark that I have been toying with the idea of making into a 30-338 Lap Imp. I know Wby actions aren't light but I already have this rifle and I would like to turn it into my 11lb packing gun with no more than a #5 28in tube.

Would this be a viable option and can the bolt face be opened up, SAFELY, to .588???