Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

WEATHERBY ACCUMARK V 338/378- WHAT ACCURACY TO EXPECT ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Re: WEATHERBY ACCUMARK V 338/378- WHAT ACCURACY TO EXPECT ?

I have since developed a new hunting load for my 338/378 Accumark which is 112.5 grain of Retumbo with the Barns 225 TTSX. This load shoots consistently in the .400" of an inch with an average velocity of 3191 fps at 68 degree F with a cold or hot barrel. I never heat my barrels to more than 130 degrees F which you can tell by being able to touch the barrel for about 1 second before you have to pull your hand off. I had initial problems with sticking cases which were caused by necks that were a few thousands of an inch over the limit of 2.913" I trimmed them back to 2.895" a bit shorter than recommended and things are back to normal. My other load is the Hornady 225 SSTs with the same powder load for the almost exact same velocity. This one does not shoot as well but is not far behind and is below 1 moa consistently and they both have the same point of impact. What I like about these 2 bullets is that their BC is almost identical at .514 and .515 which is literally the same as far as I'm concerned. I use the Hornadys for practice and the Barns TTSX for hunting. I use the Redding deluxe die set and neck size my cases only. My chamber is a really tight chamber for a factory gun which I'm sure helps my accuracy. This is pretty good for a stock rifle out of the box.
Can one buy something better? Most likely but at what cost and for what amount of accuracy improvement? Also for me the Weatherby stock fit me well and this one shoots fine for my intended use which is moose, elk, bear and caribou hunting at longer than usual distances. I like the look of the rifle as well. I would like to put a Huskamaw 5 by 20 on it in the future but that will have to wait as I'm a father with 2 small boys 8 months and 2 1/2 year old on a limited income. The Bushnell 6500 series 4.5 by 30 loses a lot of sharpness above 20X but does the job for now!

Guns are like woman, every man has different tastes!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: WEATHERBY ACCUMARK V 338/378- WHAT ACCURACY TO EXPECT ?

I know this is an old post but I am going to add my two cents worth as there are a lot of us on here that shoot these rifles, Try 2 grains over max of RE-25 (107gr) for a MV of 3146. with 225gr TTSX (tipped) Good accurate load in ny gun shooting off a sturdy bench and 6-9inch Caldwell bipod with rear sandbag.Load your OAL as long as possible and still operate in the magazine. Load your shells carefully. I am getting 5 shot groups of .435" at 100 measured meters I have had this rifle pillar and skim bedded by Dave Jennings of Jennings outdoor sports in Pritchard B.C. Although I dont need it I also have a timney trigger on order that I am going to install in this gun; I dont see how it could possibly shoot any tighter. By the way I also have the NEAR single piece Triple ring mountinng system for my Leupold MKIV Long Range Tactactle 6.5X20-50MM with TMR recticles. The Near scope mounts bold to a Pictanney rail on the rifle. My groups seem to stay consistently tight These new tipped TTSX shoot like a house afire as they are a monolithic bullet of solid copper this could be the reason as they do not fly out of trajectory because of being ever so tiney out of balance. Thats my story and Iam sticken too it. Remember work up slow, I have spoken with the barnes people over the phone and the have reassured me that by carefully working up you can safely (most of the time) exceed their max recommend loads in their manual.
Cheers @ Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester