Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Are we too critical of modern bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Are we too critical of modern bullets?

This is something ive pondered after reading the (insert brand name) fail threads, and after my buddy returned from an axis hunt with two dead axis, five beautifully petaled bullets, and a bunch of questions. None which i was able to answer.
Now im not trying to start a war simply sharing thoughts and seeking opinions.

We really do live in a golden age of bullets. There are so many awesome bullets out there, that you could close your eyes pick one and make good things happen with it. I would really have to go out of my way to find a bad bullet. Especially when compared to the musket balls my grandfather use to shoot.

On the other hand, us nit picking every last little detail, weighing bullets checking bearing surface lengths, comparing ogives, meplats, weight retention and B.C.'s are probably what drove the industry to become what it is.

So i ask you for your humble opinion, are we too critical of modern bullets?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are we too critical of modern bullets?

Yes we are. We should strive for better placement and knowing how our chosen bullet works best for our needs. And not so much blaming the bullet first. After all in most cases we loaded the ammo, chose the point of aim and puller the trigger. Each bullet has a place where it will excel, if we don't know that and use bad judgment we should carry a little responsibility on our own shoulders. It seems we expect an awful lot these days.

I agree we are lucky to have the many choices we do. Every single bullet will kill what we are after if we do a decent job on our end.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes we are. We should strive for better placement and knowing how our chosen bullet works best for our needs. And not so much blaming the bullet first. After all in most cases we loaded the ammo, chose the point of aim and puller the trigger. Each bullet has a place where it will excel, if we don't know that and use bad judgment we should carry a little responsibility on our own shoulders. It seems we expect an awful lot these days.

I agree we are lucky to have the many choices we do. Every single bullet will kill what we are after if we do a decent job on our end.

Jeff
I agree! Most people need to learn shot-placement than they do anything. Why on earth would you shoulder-shoot a whitetail deer? They're gonna run regardless. Might as well save the meat and make a lung-shot. Bullets will perform fine in that regard.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I agree! Most people need to learn shot-placement than they do anything. Why on earth would you shoulder-shoot a whitetail deer? They're gonna run regardless. Might as well save the meat and make a lung-shot. Bullets will perform fine in that regard.
Not sure what you mean by this? I shoulder shot my whitetail this year and guess what it did what I wanted died within 10 yards (probably less) of where I shot him.

To the OP I don't think we are too critical of modern bullets, being critical is what demanded these high quality bullets to be made. I do feel we expected too much from the modern bullets. It seems some people want deep penetrating bullets that have super high bc but with a bonded core that opens with cutting petals but blows up inside to a bunch of pieces and dumps all its energy but exits otherswise its a crappy bullet oh yeah and it opens up at low velocity but can survive rocket launches. In reality each bullets has a specific design which comes with limitations and we need to understand what these are and how they effect the bullet we chose.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
Not sure what you mean by this? I shoulder shot my whitetail this year and guess what it did what I wanted died within 10 yards (probably less) of where I shot him.

To the OP I don't think we are too critical of modern bullets, being critical is what demanded these high quality bullets to be made. I do feel we expected too much from the modern bullets. It seems some people want deep penetrating bullets that have super high bc but with a bonded core that opens with cutting petals but blows up inside to a bunch of pieces and dumps all its energy but exits otherswise its a crappy bullet oh yeah and it opens up at low velocity but can survive rocket launches. In reality each bullets has a specific design which comes with limitations and we need to understand what these are and how they effect the bullet we chose.
Good for you...But I've been shootin whitetails my entire life. I've had a handful drop in their tracks, and a few only run a couple yards. The rest ran like lightning. They don't always drop in their tracks, or within a few yards. You got one of the rare lucky instances where it did.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

For quite a few years I made custom .30 caliber bullets for Service Rifle competition and the Bench Rest game which was basically 1000 yard competition. On occasion I would take and make up 100 bullets and I would vary the base to ogive length by several 1000ths of an inch and the weight by as much as 5 grains. I would shoot these through a proven accurate .308 Winchester with bull barrel with a 20X Unertl scope in groups of ten shots from 300 yards on a good and quiet day...meaning not much wind. Invariably the ten shot groups would be a 'tight knot' measuring 2.0" or slightly over....all would be less than X ring size on the NRA HP target which was 3.0".
It was my conclusion that in the final analysis concerning accuracy....MORE IMPORTANTLY was the quality of the case being used and what had been done to IT.....rather than the quality of the bullets utilized!!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Thats very interesting. Did you ever shoot the mismatched bullets at 1k?