Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: water

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
I'm curious as to what time of year you guys were shooting over water.

The reason I ask is because in the spring it will take the water longer to warm than the surrounding land so in effect you would be shooting through a cooler mass of air that is directly over the water, exactly the opposite in the fall.

Now weather or not that would have any measurable effect on point of impact is beyond me, but since were talking theory I thought I'd pitch it out there.

Chris
Not that it's going to add up to a whole lot correction wise but in the winter an open body of water is warmer than the land and you will have rising air above it.

In the summer you'll have the opposite effect at least to some degree.

The other thing shooting over water will change is the humidity. In warm weather the humidity is going to be higher over the water particularly if you are in an arid or semi arid region.