Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Want to start a build..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 AM
Bronze Member

Want to start a build..

Ok I have Remington 700 lss in 7mm RUM.. After two surgeries on my shoulder I can't shoot it unless I put a break on it.. My question is since I won't be using it for awhile I want to rebuild it.
What are your guys opinion on a caliber I loved my 7RUM but I herd of this 7RUM XL??? I don't know much about it? Yes and the Gunwerks 7mm LRM which I don't understand why it has better BC then both the STW and RUM?? That another question for you guys? I think I want to stay with a big 7 because I have 300rum.. So what is a good big 7 for long range hunting or even your favorite big 7???
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Want to start a build..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrema44 View Post
Ok I have Remington 700 lss in 7mm RUM.. After two surgeries on my shoulder I can't shoot it unless I put a break on it.. My question is since I won't be using it for awhile I want to rebuild it.
What are your guys opinion on a caliber I loved my 7RUM but I herd of this 7RUM XL??? I don't know much about it? Yes and the Gunwerks 7mm LRM which I don't understand why it has better BC then both the STW and RUM?? That another question for you guys? I think I want to stay with a big 7 because I have 300rum.. So what is a good big 7 for long range hunting or even your favorite big 7???
As far as big 7's, you are on the right track. I am not sure what you are referring to on the BC as that is up to the bullet you choose, not the caliber. Within the 7's, the RUM will be the fastest, followed by the LRM and STW. A 7 dakota would be another one in that range as well.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

I'm content with my 7RemMags
Old 12-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Hard to understand this... You had surgery so you want to rebarrel your 7 RUM because it kicks too hard... and want to rebarrel to another hard kicking magnum... and you want to stay with a big 7 because you already have a 300 RUM???

Get a brake. Nothing wrong with them that ear plugs can't cure.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

How about a 7SAUM. Guys are killing big game including bears and elk at long range. Most are using either 180 or 168 Berger bullets.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

From a guy who's had more orthopedic work than the 6 million dollar man I say go with the STW. You get neck and neck performance with the Rum at dramatically reduced muzzle blast and recoil. Put a good brake on like the Snown Mountain Rifles Muzzle brake on an 8lbs rig and you will be in love.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
From a guy who's had more orthopedic work than the 6 million dollar man I say go with the STW. You get neck and neck performance with the Rum at dramatically reduced muzzle blast and recoil. Put a good brake on like the Snown Mountain Rifles Muzzle brake on an 8lbs rig and you will be in love.
Another vote for the 7mm STW.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.