Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper vs. Night Force NXS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex Viper vs. Night Force NXS?

I'm talking about the Vortex viper hs, o the concensus is NF. Is there a reason to chose the NXS over the G7? from what I see they are identical with the exception of low profile windage knob, wind and distance adjustment on reticle. To me it seems the G7 is the better scope at the same price. Yals thoughts please. Thank's, Brad
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Both are great scopes. I have the Vortex PST and love it. Do I think Vortex compares to Nightforce. NO WAY but for the money I have been very happy with the Vortex. The old saying you get what you pay for. My IMO buy as much scope as you can afford. Whether its the Vortex or Nightforce.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

I have played with the 1-4pst, nice little scope, I would like to get my hands on a higher magnification model. I have used multiple NXS's and they are awesome, but in my opinion, not worth the cost a new one would run. I would definately pick one up used. I have a 6-24 sightron SIII LRMDCM and it is flat out awesome. Head to head against a friends NXS the glass was so close we couldnt tell what was better. Now as I have said before if my life depended on it, I would probably go with the NXS, but until that situation arises I will continue to use Sightron SIII. You should definately look into them.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

Only a rich man can afford cheap optics.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

I have owned both the Nightforce NXS and a Viper PST. Both are good at what they do. My big Allen Mag thumper still wears the NXS. That rifle sits in a McMillan A5 stock and is an 11.5 lb. rifle w/o the scope. It handles the heavier weight of the NXS very well. My 6.5-06 AI is a 9 lb. rifle stocked in a Manners carbon ultralight. Initially, it had an NXS, but was just too "top heavy". It did not balance well in hand or on the bags. Sold that NXS and put on the Sightron SIII. Very pleased so far.

The PST and the Sightron are not in the same class as the NXS. But they may be a better choice for your rifle depending on your rifle's weight and design of the stock.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

I have both as much as I wish I could afford a 2000.00 NF on every rifle I have the fact is I cant r as already said sell some guns and that's not happening. As it is I have 3-NXS planning for #4 here soon and 2 - viper pst and 3 - vipers. That said the viper pst are a lot of scope for the money 750.00 having some kind of zero stop for me is a most on all my hunting rifle now a days and the viper is as for as I can tell is the best for the money as i'm buying another one today.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Like this thread. Curious about the vortex lineup. And Sitron as well.