Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear

A USO scope is a helluva lot more money than a Viper PST. Here's what they have to say (scroll to the bottom of the page)....

U.S. OPTICS - FAQ

I've never actually had a scope that had this problem, I'm sure it would bug me bad enough to send it back in and Vortex will definitely take care of you. However, it sounds like you might be able to eliminate the speck yourself by driving down a bumpy dirt road. haha
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Yup, that's just a spec of dust/junk on the lens the reticle is etched into. FFP reticles show this much more than SFP reticles.

Sadly, Vortex FFP's have it happen pretty frequently.

Your only two options:
1) Live with it, and hope it goes away.
2) Send your scope in.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

i have the razor and love it so fare its awesome.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Bronze Member

There is an easy solution to the spec on the inner lens. Take a bag of sand or shot and put it on a solid surface(work bench/table) now with the scope in you hand strike the sand/shot bag with the objective in a hammer swing style. The object will dislodge and stick to the inner tube walls(most scope manufacturers coat the inner tubes with adhesive for this exact reason. Obviously don't get carried away but this is how optics companies remedy the problem.
Cheers
Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for posting this.

I would send it back ASAP.

I don't much care if it's generally considered "normal" for a product - it shouldn't be there. To me, if i found out this was not unheard of i'd return/exchange it and let it be someone else's problem.

This is an ~$1,000 optical device and should be from defects like this. If the internal coating is chunking off now, whats to say more won't come loose?

I wouldn't tolerate defects like this in my camera lenses or my bino's and certainly wouldn't tolerate it with my scope.