Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear

After shooting 200 or so rounds out of my Savage 110 .338 Lapua the Vortex Viper PST is showing some signs of wear. The gun has always been braked and the aftermarket brake performs much better then the factory one taming the recoil to a non-braked .308 recoil.

Second shot made Sunday at the range resulted in the below pictures. At first I thought it was dust or dirt but after wiping the scope down and it not going away I then adjusted my power and the inclusion got bigger and smaller with the power setting. In the upper left quadrant around the 2mil up and 2 mil left is where the inclusion is. Guessing it is a piece of the reticle. Hopefully Vortex's customer service and warranty is easy and quick.

Would have never thought this would have happened to a scope just under $1,000.00.

Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear-vortex-viper-pst.jpg

Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear-vortex-viper-pst-ii.jpg
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Vortex Viper PST Reticle Wear

I have the same scope it has the same stuf floting around as yours . My sets on a 300 ultra after about 300 rounds it also has a muzzle brake. I realy hate to take it off and send it back it would have to be all level again. Joe
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Is this a common problem with the PST? I'm having one put on my new Edge.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

My guess is that it is a piece of dirt or somting and not your reticle!! If it still shoots good and works properly leave it alone. If it bothers you send it in and they will either repair it or send you a new one!! Give them a call and see what they have to say first. Most if not all higher end scopes use etched reticles that is why I dought that is the cause!!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbogb06 View Post
After shooting 200 or so rounds out of my Savage 110 .338 Lapua the Vortex Viper PST is showing some signs of wear. The gun has always been braked and the aftermarket brake performs much better then the factory one taming the recoil to a non-braked .308 recoil.

Second shot made Sunday at the range resulted in the below pictures. At first I thought it was dust or dirt but after wiping the scope down and it not going away I then adjusted my power and the inclusion got bigger and smaller with the power setting. In the upper left quadrant around the 2mil up and 2 mil left is where the inclusion is. Guessing it is a piece of the reticle. Hopefully Vortex's customer service and warranty is easy and quick.

Would have never thought this would have happened to a scope just under $1,000.00.

Attachment 18634

Attachment 18635
Funny you mention this topic. I have a Zeiss 6.5 x 20 that has the exact same kind of spot in it and it is NOT dirt--it is internal. I know that I can send the glass back but it doesn't bother anything so I have not sent it back. And it came that way from the factory.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Many internal optical elements and surfaces are blacked out. I suspect that a little of the "blackout medium" has come free on an element in that general vicinity.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Remember that your shooting a caliber that is a recoil monster. As far as your scope is concerned, it gets the full effect of the recoil before you ever feel it, then as soon as the bullet exits the muzzle all that gas hit those partitions on the brake and your rifle effectively reverses direction, it's a violent change of direction. Scopes are made to take the first part (until you get to 1k or more worth of quality) but its the second part that breaks scopes. That said if it doesn't affect the function at all, just an annoyance, I wouldn't mess with it myself.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe