Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex viper pst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex viper pst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued View Post
just got a viper 6-24x50 pst sfp moa in friday to replace it and got it mounted up and shot in saturday. so far i like it. the features it has vs the regular viper are much better.

the only thing i have noticed about it and was curious if anybody else has noticed this. at 24x there is very very little forgiveness in having my eye perfectly centered in the glass. i can turn it down just a little and it gets very easy to stay in the center. i have never had this issue with the other viper.
Yes, I have with two of the PST 6-24's. I installed them for other people and worked with ring height, moved them forward and backwards, focused, installed cheek padding you name it. This really turned me off on the scope and I am a huge Vortex fan. I will not recommend the PST due to this problem. After fighting to get a full sight picture I grab any of my rifles with a 5.5~22 NXS and on 22X I can get behind it and always a full view. Instantly!! All I can say is, if you have a PST and are happy with it , never look through a NXS. Yes they cost more but they have no excuses. Earlier in this thread some said " save and upgrade to a NXS" Darn good advice.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes, I have with two of the PST 6-24's. I installed them for other people and worked with ring height, moved them forward and backwards, focused, installed cheek padding you name it. This really turned me off on the scope and I am a huge Vortex fan. I will not recommend the PST due to this problem. After fighting to get a full sight picture I grab any of my rifles with a 5.5~22 NXS and on 22X I can get behind it and always a full view. Instantly!! All I can say is, if you have a PST and are happy with it , never look through a NXS. Yes they cost more but they have no excuses. Earlier in this thread some said " save and upgrade to a NXS" Darn good advice.

Jeff

Jeff
ok so its not just me then. hopfully i can get used to it. kinda makes me wish they would have made it in a 20X and not had the problem.

i plan to build a 338 and top it with a NXS
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

my PST just arrived today, rings are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. All I can say is that I'm in love. the scope is all I hoped it would be. did a check of the elevation adjustment, and if I was counting right, there's actually 67.5 MOA of adjustment, not the advertised 65...not complaining about that. The glass blows away the glass from the Nikon Buckmasters I had, and that one had really glass. really hope the rings arrive on schedule, I'd love to get her to the range this weekend
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

i done some 600y plinking with my PST over the weekend. i'm getting more and more use to the eye box with it on 24x and it dosnt seem to be a problem any more.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
i done some 600y plinking with my PST over the weekend. i'm getting more and more use to the eye box with it on 24x and it dosnt seem to be a problem any more.
that is good to hear. My rings arrive tomorrow (in theory) so I guess I'll be learning all about the eye box on the Viper PST
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

well have you shot it in yet?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
well have you shot it in yet?
haven't had a chance...there was a mixup in the shipment of my rings, I didn't get them until last night....not going to get a chance to shoot it until Saturday