Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex viper pst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex viper pst

They are good until you look through a Nightforce. Will make you want to save and upgrade, thats what happened to me...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Just got in from shooting. The conditions are POOR! 30 degrees 11.5 mph wind, 93% humidity. Shot out to 700 yds. Dialed 12 MOA up and 3.5 moa drift. put four out of seven shots in a 8" circle. first three just missed; didn't allow enough wind or elevation. I also tried my 1 moa hash marks in the reticle today. Dead on at 400 yds. Held on the 4 moa mark and it was perfect. Scope seems to track good, still good value I would say. Shooting a 300 RUM with 215 Berger Hybrid @ 2985 fps. May have to tweek my MV. SHOOTER called for 11.6 MOA up and I needed 12 MOA.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 AM

I zero'd at 200 yds and used a chronograph to get velocity and evaluate the consistency of my reloads (Berger 168 gr VLD). I shot at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yds and kept good notes. Using the LRBC program on the Vortex website, I entered ballistics data and velocity. The chart vs what I actually shot was close but not close enough for my satisfaction. The key was the "Long Range Drop Data" feature which has you enter actual data from a "far range" shot (I used 600 yds). After this adjustment, their chart matched my 600 yd data and was right on or within 1 click at the closer yardages.

I sent the data to Vortex using the chart they provide and two weeks later my turret was in my hands...in the middle of hunting season even!

I don't dispute Brado16's thoughts on Nightforce but Vortex is a good value for the amount of $$ I could spend.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brado16 View Post
They are good until you look through a Nightforce. Will make you want to save and upgrade, thats what happened to me...
Fair statement. However, there is a problem with it. Save and upgrade to a Nightforce is all well and good but look through a March or US Optics or Schmidt and Bender and keep saving.... How long do you save? How long can you wait? What do you consider the ideal compromise?

All optics are a compromise no matter what the cost.

Granted, the Vortex isn't as clear (marginally to the more discriminating eye) but it's not nearly as expensive. It's a matter of scale/percived quality versus value, why Vortex is such a good seller. The value received for the money spent is a better ratio than the higher end scopes, no question.

I'll take a Vortex in price versus optical quality, features incorporated anyday over the higher cost optics and I have the high end stuff too.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

SidecarFlip,

Whats wrong with upgrading overtime? Vortex to Nightforce to US Optics to S.B.?? Its like anything else, buy what you can afford and use until you are no longer satisfied or you can afford to upgrade. Its only human nature to want what we cannot have.

Yes Vortex is good bang for the buck but my PST FFP was not adequate for detail in the field such as judging an elk or deer at longer distances where my NF or SB is crystal clear and lets me leave my spotting scope at home vs having to lug in my pack.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

i have a pst 6-24 and dont have any reason to go away from it. my farthest kill is a coyote at 725 with it and hit the dog twice at that range. i also put on long range shoots and this scope is perfect for them. my girlfriend hit my wolf target first shot with it at 900 yards. cant go wrong with them and great service
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brado16 View Post
SidecarFlip,

Whats wrong with upgrading overtime? Vortex to Nightforce to US Optics to S.B.?? Its like anything else, buy what you can afford and use until you are no longer satisfied or you can afford to upgrade. Its only human nature to want what we cannot have.

Yes Vortex is good bang for the buck but my PST FFP was not adequate for detail in the field such as judging an elk or deer at longer distances where my NF or SB is crystal clear and lets me leave my spotting scope at home vs having to lug in my pack.
I use my bino's, never a spotting scope because the damn thing is too touchy anyway.

Keep in mind that the NF is 2 times the PST price and the March and SB is 3 times the price of a PST. I expect better glass when paying substantially more. Having said that, is the glass worth 2 times or 3 times as much? That becomes a personal decision.

I'll have a chance to really see what the PST does next week. I'll be in S. W. NM for mule deer. Around here, ther is really no where to stretch out, maybe a 150 yard shot. NM will be different and mayb I'll find fault then. We shall see.