Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex Viper

Another vote for more power. I upped power from the 4x16 to the 6x24 HS-T and noticed more blur at the higher power and long range. Thinking of going with the Zeiss Conquests HD5 for more clarity at long range high power. The 4x16 is pretty good though and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM

I'm also looking for new Scope and found what might be a deal I can't pass up. A Viper HS 4-16x44 for $329 or so. I'm currently comparing it to a Sightron Big Sky II in 3-12x42. This if for a varmint .243. Might be hard to pass on the Vortex and it would be my first. It is heavier and longer then the Big Sky but $100 cheaper. Is glass as good or better?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktheis23 View Post
I'm also looking for new Scope and found what might be a deal I can't pass up. A Viper HS 4-16x44 for $329 or so. I'm currently comparing it to a Sightron Big Sky II in 3-12x42. This if for a varmint .243. Might be hard to pass on the Vortex and it would be my first. It is heavier and longer then the Big Sky but $100 cheaper. Is glass as good or better?
Depending on the range you do your varminting and the size of your varmints, you may want more than 16. It's a great price to pass up.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Guys I really appreciate the responses this thread has received. I haven't been on since I posted it. I ended up going with a Zeiss Conquest I found on my cross country rip home.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokee View Post
Guys I really appreciate the responses this thread has received. I haven't been on since I posted it. I ended up going with a Zeiss Conquest I found on my cross country rip home.
Equally good choice! I have several Conquests and several Vortex optics...You can't go wrong with either one. But I think compared to the Viper & Viper HS series scopes, the Conquest lens coatings are slightly superior at blocking sun and glare. So, of the two best options in that price range, I think you took the slightly better road. I say slightly, because you couldn't go wrong either way.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

I have the 4-16x50 HS mouted on my tikka t3 superlite in 308. And I also have a 4-16x50pst waiting until I pick up my 6.5x284 at the end of the month

I love my vortex scopes they were money very well spent and I encourage everyone who is on a budget or just looking for the best bang for your buck to buy Vortex you wont be disappointed I know I havent been. The only dislike I have had with the HS is that it does not have the exposed turrets I really regret not spending the extra 50 bucks or whatever it was to buy the exposed turrets. As soon as I sell my HS ill be picking up the 4-16x50 HSLR

Hope this helps you with your choice
Old 06-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS1044 View Post
I have the 4-16x50 HS mouted on my tikka t3 superlite in 308. And I also have a 4-16x50pst waiting until I pick up my 6.5x284 at the end of the month

I love my vortex scopes they were money very well spent and I encourage everyone who is on a budget or just looking for the best bang for your buck to buy Vortex you wont be disappointed I know I havent been. The only dislike I have had with the HS is that it does not have the exposed turrets I really regret not spending the extra 50 bucks or whatever it was to buy the exposed turrets. As soon as I sell my HS ill be picking up the 4-16x50 HSLR

Hope this helps you with your choice
I got the HS 6-24x50 in hopes of the HS-T not being out for 1/2 a year or so, then a month & half later they get released. LOL

Kinda wish I had waited, but the HS has nice finger adjustable turrets once you remove the caps. I'm thinking about having a custom set made for it.

Then ordering a HS-T 6-24x50 once I get the money and putting it on one of my other Senderos.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.