Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: Vortex Viper

Another Vortex Vote.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

I have a 4x16 pst great scope ! It has 800 rounds behind it . Had my fill of Leupold , had 3 of them with problems and sold them ! Plus one they had for 3 months and had to send it back again , but some have good luck with them .
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

I have a Vortex Viper 6x24 ffp that I do not like. Would make you a great deal on it.
Phone # 208-716-2432 & email is ksjcoyote@msn.com.
Thanks, Kirk
Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Another vote for 4-16.

4X is low enough for quick shots up close and offers a good field of view. The extra power on the high end makes a huge difference when taking shots over 300 yards.

I've had 2.5-10X scopes and found them a little lacking for high level precision shots at long range. I've also had 6-24X hunting scopes, the Viper PST to be exact, and although it is an excellent long range scope, I found the base 6X to be a little much when hunting in close quarters.

In my opinion, a 4-16X scope is the best magnification range for hunting in general. Then you can get into weird magnification ranges like my all-time personal favorite "mid-priced" hunting scope, the Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30 X 50. Can hunt brush and score points on a buck at 1000 yards all with the same optic
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

I also recommend the Viper. I have a 4x16 and love it. Hard to beat for the money.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

This thread says it well! No everyone will love the Vortex but as illustrated by the thread, most believe it's a GREAT product for the money. I have many Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski scopes. The Vortex is great. Just picked up another one a few weeks ago, guy hated it said turret didn't work right? I've been shooting it on my 6 Xc to 800 yds and works just fine. His loss my gain. Don't be afraid of Vortex!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

I had both the 4-16 and the 6-24 Viper PST in ffp. I liked them both and they both had the same issue. The illumination would either not turn on or would not stay on. I called Vortex and in less than a week I had new illumination cap covers with shims installed on the underneath side to apply more pressure to the battery.....problem solved. That was the only issue I had ever had with mine and when I called them, they seemed genuinely concerned and literally fixed the problem as fast as they could. I like higher magnification for shooting past 200 yards. At 100 yards and out I felt the 6x was low enough, but any closer and it might be more difficult especially on a moving target.