Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Re: Vortex Viper

Another Vortex Vote.

Unread 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

I have a 4x16 pst great scope ! It has 800 rounds behind it . Had my fill of Leupold , had 3 of them with problems and sold them ! Plus one they had for 3 months and had to send it back again , but some have good luck with them .
I am going to shoot ! No I mean I going to shoot way over there !
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

I have a Vortex Viper 6x24 ffp that I do not like. Would make you a great deal on it.
Phone # 208-716-2432 & email is
Thanks, Kirk
Unread 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Another vote for 4-16.

4X is low enough for quick shots up close and offers a good field of view. The extra power on the high end makes a huge difference when taking shots over 300 yards.

I've had 2.5-10X scopes and found them a little lacking for high level precision shots at long range. I've also had 6-24X hunting scopes, the Viper PST to be exact, and although it is an excellent long range scope, I found the base 6X to be a little much when hunting in close quarters.

In my opinion, a 4-16X scope is the best magnification range for hunting in general. Then you can get into weird magnification ranges like my all-time personal favorite "mid-priced" hunting scope, the Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30 X 50. Can hunt brush and score points on a buck at 1000 yards all with the same optic
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

I also recommend the Viper. I have a 4x16 and love it. Hard to beat for the money.
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

This thread says it well! No everyone will love the Vortex but as illustrated by the thread, most believe it's a GREAT product for the money. I have many Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski scopes. The Vortex is great. Just picked up another one a few weeks ago, guy hated it said turret didn't work right? I've been shooting it on my 6 Xc to 800 yds and works just fine. His loss my gain. Don't be afraid of Vortex!
Unread 06-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

I had both the 4-16 and the 6-24 Viper PST in ffp. I liked them both and they both had the same issue. The illumination would either not turn on or would not stay on. I called Vortex and in less than a week I had new illumination cap covers with shims installed on the underneath side to apply more pressure to the battery.....problem solved. That was the only issue I had ever had with mine and when I called them, they seemed genuinely concerned and literally fixed the problem as fast as they could. I like higher magnification for shooting past 200 yards. At 100 yards and out I felt the 6x was low enough, but any closer and it might be more difficult especially on a moving target.