Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 04:26 PM

Vortex Viper

I am looking at putting a Vortex Viper scope on my new Tikka T3 7mm. I looked at several scopes over the last few days. I looked at the Leupold VX2&3's, Zeiss Terra and then the Vortex Viper HS line. Out of all of the ones I looked at the Vortex Vipers were the best glass I looked through in that price point. Now I will be using this in NM for hunting elk and mule deer and if I am lucky big horn sheep. Now that I have narrowed it down I am unsure what magnification to get. I looked at the 2.5-10x44 and the 4-16x44. What are the opinions of each magnification and what would best suit me for the rifle I am hunting with. Still new to this western style of long range hunting.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex Viper

I have had Leupold VXIII's and they are good glass. I have several Vortex products, including a Viper HS scope. They are excellent glass for the money. I also have much higher end optics like a Kahles scope, but the price is significantly more expensive. The Zeiss Conquest line is a more fair comparison to the Viper HS than the Terra is.

I have several Conquests, and for the money, they are incredible glass when you get them outside and out in the ambient light and away from fluorescent lighting inside a store.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM

I was lucky enough to go to a store that let me take them outside in look in natural light. I didn't look at any other Zeiss scopes. I did however look through the owners trijicon scope and it was amazing just not in my budget.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokee View Post
Now that I have narrowed it down I am unsure what magnification to get. I looked at the 2.5-10x44 and the 4-16x44. What are the opinions of each magnification and what would best suit me for the rifle I am hunting with.
Go with the 4-16. You don't really need a lower magnification than 4x and what you will get at 16x versus 10x is a substantial difference, especially if you decide to extend your range. Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

I have 2 of the 4x16, one x50 and one x44. Also a PST 6x24x50. I had a VX3 4x14x44 before I ever bought my first Vortex. Still have the VX but will stay with the Vortex brand. Great warranty to boot.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 PM

I have been hunting with the 4-16 hslr scopes for the last few years and they are great hunting scopes. 1/2 minute elevation adjustment works fine for most hunting situations.have had zero problems with them.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Make sure you get the First Focal Plane reticle though!! Make sure the sales man clearly explains the difference. I've sold probably 8 of those units in the last 4 months, and a 6x24 is going on my 7mm when I get my hands on it.