Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Vortex Nomad Spotter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Bronze Member

Vortex Nomad Spotter

Aright I need everyone to give me their honest opinion. I have been looking at these for a while now and need to know how they perform out in the field. I'm tired of reading reviews only to have half of them written by people that work for the company. I would like to know if these scopes are able to spot .30 cal holes in a shoot-n-c target at 500 yards? Or what range would be the max for this. I am also wonder how this scope will do while on a hunt. How rugged is it, how does it do in low light situations, how well is it at picking out animals against similar colored backgrounds? This scope is within my budget so I would really love to hear what everyone things about this scope. I like to hear the good, bad, and ugly.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex Nomad Spotter

Give Scott Barrish a call at Liberty Optics. He deals in Vortex and other brand scopes. He'll give you an honest answer.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Honestly, I've been very impressed with mine. For the money it is hard to beat. This glass is not as clear as the Viper or Skyline. But that comes with the price point.

I was spotting .224 holes at 400 yards with mine so I don't think 308 would be an issue.

Hunting was where I was both impressed and realized the limitations. It is VERY light and easy to pack. I have the Vortex bench tripod which worked great. The glass was clear enough on deer to differentiate horns, width, and points to about 600 yards. After that, it became more difficult to discern points. After 800 I could still tell bucks from does but only if they were moving.

All in all I am more than pleased with my purchase and would buy one again. Now that I know the scope's limitations I never have an issue in the field.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you j-man this is exactly what I was hopeing to see. Its good here hear that it does perform good. I also like to know what the limitations are for the scope.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

played with my buddies quite a bit last fall. It does perform well for the 300$ price tag, however at the end of the day it is still a low-middle range scope. I had no problem seeing .308 caliber holes @ 500 yards on a white backer on cool days, however i could not discern buck from doe past 750-800 yards without alot of work.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

This is on-off subject, but I have been considering the Redfield Rampage. Anybody have any experience with this particular scope? From what I have read, it is a well built spotter with decent glass for the money.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Bronze Member

I would also like to hear about the Redfield Rampage. I haven't seen anything about this scope. Is this around the same quality of the Nomad?