Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Very Pleased with Sinarms!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Very Pleased with Sinarms! And a question regarding wind.

I really like the stock, I'd recommend it for sure. I did skim bed the front contact surface and that helped I think. This is set up for 1 piece bottom metal which is available from ptg it your rifle does not have it already. Mine was blind so I had to add it separately.

I used a 2.5 mph 90 degree wing value in jbm to get the .8". Was that correct?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
I really like the stock, I'd recommend it for sure. I did skim bed the front contact surface and that helped I think. This is set up for 1 piece bottom metal which is available from ptg it your rifle does not have it already. Mine was blind so I had to add it separately.

I used a 2.5 mph 90 degree wing value in jbm to get the .8". Was that correct?
I'm using 2mph and keep coming up with the same answer of .04moa@200yds, which would be about .06moa (roughly .75") at 260yds.

Ballistics Calculator v1.0

On my Mod 70 it's a 300wm currently with a sporter weight bbl, but I'm probably going to put a light varmint contour 26" bbl on it. I've been using it as my "truck gun" just something to grab quick when drivin around the place, but I'm planning a couple of pretty serious horseback/backpack hunts in the next few years so I want to upgrade a bit and still have a nice sub 8lbs carry rifle capable of LR shooting so I'm playing with several options for restocking etc in the future.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

You're at .75" with a 2mph wind and I'm at .8" with a 2.5mph wind so I think we're right on.

I think you're going to have a hard time keeping a LA model 70 under 8lbs with anything heavier than a sporter weight barrel of stadard length. That is unless you're getting into carbon stocks and barres, etc. That is unless you meant sub 8lbs before optics.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
You're at .75" with a 2mph wind and I'm at .8" with a 2.5mph wind so I think we're right on.

I think you're going to have a hard time keeping a LA model 70 under 8lbs with anything heavier than a sporter weight barrel of stadard length. That is unless you're getting into carbon stocks and barres, etc. That is unless you meant sub 8lbs before optics.
Yep, that's the quandary. For most of my life anything under 16lbs was fine as a carry rifle but I'm getting very close to 50 so I'm thinking of a lighter load for hunts at 8,000ft plus HA!

I also dont' want to get too light because typically heavier is steadier and long shots 400-900yds are more the rule than the exception where I'm planning those hunts.

Of course I have the STW's and the 300 Rum Sendero too... .

My old STW I may keep in a lighter package and go for more of a Sendero weight in the Hill Country 7STW.

That'll give me a total of four rifles which should be drop dead killers out to 800yds, and two of them good for considerably farther should the opportunity arise.

My problem is that given the budget I could easily convince myself I needed at least five more so I could have one rifle for every possible scenario LOL
Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Almost a full year since I posted in this thread, but was able to get out and shoot some distance finally again. This is my first group on paper with this rifle at 400 yards. Same load as in the OP but with some pulled bullets w/canneurs that weight sorted to match the factory firsts I have. 7200' elevation, 54 degrees, 54% humidity, 20-25mph 1/4 value wind:

Just under 2.5" group, so around .59MOA. Not bad, I'm still very happy with this rifle!

Anyone interested in some 'smith work, I would recommend Sin Arms w/o hesitation.