Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Very Pleased with Sinarms!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Very Pleased with Sinarms!

Hi All,

Fianally got to get out this morning and put a rifle I had re-barreled by Devin to a bit of a test. It is a Model 70 in 270 Win. Devin installed a 24" Shilen #2 contour McGowan tube and one of his muzzle breaks on the action. He also squared the action face.

The results were great today at 261 yards witha 1/4 value 8-15mph wind with the 3 shot group coming in just over .5moa:

You might be surprised what I have in this rifle - as pictured I have only $1200 in it, including optics. Some of this is due to God providing the donor action very cheap and to Devin's reasonable prices, also a great blessing. With a little work on my loads and better scope I'm sure this rifle would get well below the 1/2moa mark.

Devin can work on anything and he is a working man like many of use and his prices are meant for working men. Get in touch with him at sin-arms.com.

Now, as pictured, the group is about 2 5/8" to the right of where I would like to zero it. With the 140grn accubonds, how much do I need to move the scope to adjust, considering the 8-15mph 1/4value wind?

Thanks all and God bless,

Adam

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Very Pleased with Sinarms! And a question regarding wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
Hi All,

Fianally got to get out this morning and put a rifle I had re-barreled by Devin to a bit of a test. It is a Model 70 in 270 Win. Devin installed a 24" Shilen #2 contour McGowan tube and one of his muzzle breaks on the action. He also squared the action face.

The results were great today at 261 yards witha 1/4 value 8-15mph wind with the 3 shot group coming in just over .5moa:

You might be surprised what I have in this rifle - as pictured I have only $1200 in it, including optics. Some of this is due to God providing the donor action very cheap and to Devin's reasonable prices, also a great blessing. With a little work on my loads and better scope I'm sure this rifle would get well below the 1/2moa mark.

Devin can work on anything and he is a working man like many of use and his prices are meant for working men. Get in touch with him at sin-arms.com.

Now, as pictured, the group is about 2 5/8" to the right of where I would like to zero it. With the 140grn accubonds, how much do I need to move the scope to adjust, considering the 8-15mph 1/4value wind?

Adam
Looks like the rifle is coming together nicely for you.

Take an average of 10mp wind speed/4 (1/4value) which gives you about 2.25mph and plug that into your ballistics calculator.

You didn't say if the wind was L-R or R-L though so I can't do the calculation for you.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

It was left to right - I was confused since I was trying to zero at this range, rather than figure when drift at this range with a different zero, if that makes sense. When inputting data into the calculator, do I used 260 yard for zero?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi All,

Adam
Using your numbers and filling in a bit with generics on Hornady's ballistic calculator I only come up with .04MOA adjustment for wind at that range.

As for your ballistics program some require a specific zero range, some you can plug in your actual zero range.

If it were me I'd rezero at either 200 or 300yds when you get a chance and then use that value.

I prefer round numbers and longer ranges for zeroing than 100yds because that way your bullet, even if a very long bodied VLD will have fully stabilized by 200yds unless something is terribly wrong.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Forgot to ask... . What stock have you got that thing setting in? Winchester factory plastic with a point job or ???
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

I'm coming up with .8" at this range due to wind - the specifics are on the pic with the group. I'm estimating the bullet is leaving the muzzle at 2900fps.

The stock is a B&C Ultralight Extreme Weather with the bedding block. It is only supposed to weigh 28oz. Complete rifle as pictured is only about 9lbs. The paint job is mine. That's why I'm so pleased to have what I do in this rifle!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm coming up with .8" at this range due to wind - the specifics are on the pic with the group. I'm estimating the bullet is leaving the muzzle at 2900fps.

The stock is a B&C Ultralight Extreme Weather with the bedding block. It is only supposed to weigh 28oz. Complete rifle as pictured is only about 9lbs. The paint job is mine. That's why I'm so pleased to have what I do in this rifle!
Did you use the average 10mph wind and divide it by 4 since it's only quarter value?

I'll have to give that stock a look. Mine came with the grey laminate which is pretty nice but I got tired of dealing with the way temps and humidity can screw with wood years ago.